• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Albino or REW

I think it is the same. Albinos lack certain pigments, and therefore their eyes stay pink/red. REW is probably a breeder term originally? And faster to type. :D

oh ok thank you, I thought someone had said theres no such thing as an albino and they were actually REWs...ignore me :lol:

There are some bunnies who have red eyes, but also some dark patches of fur. Are they Himalayans? I don't know whether they would be considered albinos, too. I always thought albinos are completely white.
But it seems to be possible to breed red eyes and certain fur patterns, which need pigment (menlanin) to get dark.
So every albino has red eyes, but not every red eyed bunny is an albino. :?: Does that make any sense? :lol:

Ah, found it:

Himalayan and Siamese color patterns are both caused by the Himalayan gene, ch, which acts at the albino locus. It works like the albino gene, c, by stopping production of color pigment, leaving the coat white. However, the Himalayan gene does not bleach out color all over like the albino gene. Instead, it allows color to be expressed only on the colder areas of the animal - the 'points' - while suppressing it on the warmer areas of the body. The Himalayan gene is incompletely dominant to the albino gene, which means that a rat which has one of each (in genetic shorthand, ch c) looks different from one which has two albino genes (c c) (a Pink-Eyed White) or two Himalayan genes (ch ch). The rat with two Himalayan genes has deeper coloring than the rat with just one. The best example of this is the show quality Siamese rat, whose deep, dark points and shaded beige body color are caused mainly by its two Himalayan genes ch ch. If you cross a Siamese rat with a Pink-Eyed White, the babies will have one gene from each parent at this locus, so they will have a ch from the Siamese, and a c from the Pink-Eyed White. Because of incomplete dominance, their color will be like a mixture of the two varieties; they will be pale Himalayans, with genes ch c at the albino locus.

Back