• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I get a single or double storey hutch

vanessa

Warren Scout
Want to get a hutch to put in the enclosed bit of my dog kennel and run. It can only be 3.5 ft wide and 20" deep to fit the space. Would the space that the ramp and hole bit takes up of a double storey defeat the object to give them more space, would I be better off just getting a single storey hutch instead? How wide are the ramp things does anyone know?

Yikes! 3.5 feet is too small for rabbits - they can't make more than a couple of hops from end to end, particularly if there is a divider in the hutch as well.

I know that this is going to be inside the kennel (I assume they are having the free run of this as well, the hutch is just for a bed) but even then a 3.5 foot hutch is too small to be a comfy bed space.

Could you find someone e.g. a local carpenter who could make you something to fit which would have more room for them to move around and stretch out?

If the hutch is only a shelter, a 3.5 ft one would be ok, mine have a 4ft one which is plenty big enough as they only use it as a litter tray really. However if they're going to be locked into it at all it's not big enough.

I agree with kathryn that if its only a shelter then that size is ok.
My house rabbit has a dog crate only 3 x 2ft but she is never locked in it, its just for snoozing and keeping her food in.

I think I'd just go for a one storey, as as you've said much of the floor would be taken up with the hole.

My nethies have 1 x 3' and 1 x 4' hutch in their 6' x 6' enclosure. They only really go inside when the weather's particularly yucky or for an afternoon nap.
I'd say the single storey too, as mine love to sit on the top and watch the world go by!

Mine are only getting a 3ft sleeping area aswell but they will never be locked in will always have free run of a 14ft run so if they have free running space i would think it's fine :D

this is a pic of my french lop in a 3' hutch, it's just used as an extra bed in the shed but she loves it and also goes under it and on top of it too :D edit: forgot to add i had to take the sleeping divider out so she could fit in it :shock:
jan07023.jpg

I think that as a sleeping area 3 foot is fine - probs go for single storey. Amy only has a small sleeping area but she curls up small!! :lol:

Trinny and Smokie only have a small single storey hutch in their playhouse, they love to jump on top and regularly sit on the roof, I'd say go for a single storey :wink:

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will go with a single storey one, its just somewhere for the bunnies to keep warm in if they want to in cold weather, there is additional space as well in the enclosed bit and they have access to the run all the time.

Go for the single storey... if they're anything like mine they'll love sitting on it or under it but never set foot inside it! :lol:

Back