• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Giant breeds of Rabbit

hi,

Was wondering what you recon is the biggest breed of rabbit you can get?

Continental giant,
British giant,
Flemish Giant,
French lop,

Would be greatful for your answers - as i am unsure.

It's either the British or the Flemish, other two breeds def smaller on the whole. I looked in a few books and they don't seem to agree re. the other two. HTH

The continental giant is currently the biggest rabbit in the UK AFAIK. The BRC states over 7kg for maximum points for the Conti (British giant is over 6Kg for max points) - also the conti has the biggest ring size (J) - they had to make a new ring specifically for the breed as the British Giant size was too small.

My Zeus (conti in avatar) was 8Kg at his biggest, which looking back was probably a tad overweight for him. He looked better at 7-7.5Kg but when he was ill he dropped to just under 5Kg and looked awful.

Caz

The conti and the papillion as they're essentially the same rabbit in a different colour. British giants and like small contis and flemishs are like flat contis lol. You'd know what i'd mean if you'd seen one lol. I have two contis at present, they're wonderful pets, very nosey and affectionate.
This is generally the size from biggest to smallest;
Continental giant,
Flemish Giant,
British giant,
French lop,

stanley and naomi said:
Thankyou for your help everyone.

Have been trying to find out of the net - but was finding it hard to find out which was the biggest.

:D

Just a note of warning with larger rabbits comes larger vets bills, larger housing, larger food and hay bills but shorter life spans :( ! They are great characters but the average lifespan is 5-6 years, Zeus was very sickly and only made 3.

Caz

What about the recent post of that big bunny, it was in the newspaper, we post it here. It was posted last summer.

Chinchilla Giant is also big.

Again according to the British Rabbit Council Website - Flemish Giants max points = 5Kg and chinc giant 4kg so the size goes:

Conti (max points for 7kg)
British giant and Giant Papillion (max points for 6Kg)
Flemish giant (max points for 5Kg)
Chinchilla giant (max points for 4kg)!

Caz

They are unfortunately prone to shorter lives due to the in breeding and desperation by breeders ot get them so big, so they generally don't live so long as the gene pool wasn't as varied. It's the same with Great danes apparently. But they are wonderful characters and I think most live to about 5 + unless you're unlucky and have arthritis problems etc. A friend of mine has a 7 year old that's still going strong.

Back