• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tell me is it too late to change?long post but help needed!

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
:( we made the mistake when getting Bif from the rescue not to bond her to us so much as get her bonding with oscar..Elaine said the ride home in the taxi should do it no need for neutral territory when we got home( wel id read up and i knew that was wrong!) But they were real good whilst we accomadated the cages..oscar had his doggy crate the small one we have altho argos said it was a large dog one!! Bif had the savic cage which monique from sidlesham said was fine for temp housing whilst bonding. Bif was scared but she let me pick her up to check she was ok after getting honeymoon bum! she used to binky running free on her time for exercise around the lounge..we didnt let her out too long purely cos she wasnt litter trained but she was learning..she came up to us to Bif us withher head and runoff..we couldnt bear to see her cgaed inthat cage for 3 weeks so once oscar had his dental we restarted the bonding process. Once bonded she went every where with him and would let us scrith her head quick once she initiated the attention.
She really started coming out of her shell wed had her 6 months..then Oscar and her got sick and we lost Oscar..shes never really recovered..shes run from us ever since.. :(
she bonded withbertie he gave her some life back..as she lay down to die 3 days after losing oscar..
bertie is a frenchie very laid back and very nosey and up for a nse and head scratch and cheek rubs and a massage!
Bif has suddenly got brave enough to bif my foot 2 nights running and shes let nikki strok her head..bertie usually pins her down whilst we stroke them..hes almost trying tosay dont run..its nice..!
The last few days Bertie is ecoming more like Bif..im hoping its cos of his feet but even then he loved his evening cuddle on the settee. now he gets up and then gets back down again and doesnt want to be fussed over..
i did all the floor level stuff when we first got bif like ive done for all ur buns..and id id it with bertie..but things are going in reverse..they are becoming more unfriendly and aloof..
did i do it all wrong..is it too late to correct it..if so how?
Is it cos we are sick with sore throats etc and they dont like being near sick folks they are prey creatures dont want to be at riskby mixing with sickly risks?
or is it that bertie and bif had enough of all the vet trips and medicating and they dont want us around anymore..or is cos theres allend and page left and i refuse to top it up with anymore science selective?
sigh please help!!

At a guess I'd say Bertie is associating you with having his sore feet cleaned and so does not want to sit with you for long incase you do it again :?
Also he may be in some discomfort as he has to carry the weight of a big bun on sore feet :(
I would take him to the Vet to see if Bertie needs some pain relief. The Vet may also agree to you having some Flamazine cream to put on his sore feet.

Janex :)

I had an evil cold and cough thing just over a week ago and Thumper my little mummies boy would not come near me, this coming from a bun who loves nose rubs hugs- kisses my forehead and circles me- the whole works!!!. He did still circle me but nothing else - dont blame him really I looked rough :shock: !lol. So I left him to it and then after a few days on antibiotics - I started to feel better and then when the dribbling nose went he came and was the same as before. I think it is possibly cos u have colds! They dont want to catch it after all!! :lol:

Thank you all for your replies..
Jane i am real sick right now for the second week but if he shows no improvement ill get a taxi there delirious if i have to..!!

I must admit we didnt do his feet last night and he seemed happier..Bif seemed happier..i even got climbed on quickly whilst laying on the setee..oh the tempation to stroke her was so overwhelming!! I slid of the settee once the cold pills kicked in and i lay on the floor or whats left of it..on my tummy my head and face facing hers and i spent ages talking to her.

Bertie wa shavng a paddy in the crate even tho the dor tot he pen s open 24/7 and the pen was half down to allow them to roam..i got into the crate almost and he wanted nosey rubs..cheeky scritches and a kiss on hs ears..he loves that..then i stroked him and spoke to him and he roled slwly and began snoring!!

When he and Bif got up and eventually venured out..he rediscovered his old snooze spot int he lounge doorway..i cleaned ut both trays and they were thankful..except i didnt realise that was all the hay we had oops! so left ver hay and barley straw today..till bunny basics oder comes!
he got frisky and bif chased him nippinghim etc..theymade up and then after having a uick fuss onthe settee he got down and binkied and did it again and then bif joined in..so cute..i put them to bed before i came up and they were tired full and happy i was able to stroke thamboth when i was giving out the hay!! and i got them to go to bed easily they knew and lay down before i left the lounge awww

so maybe aby steps again with Bif and get berties feet checked out and maybe we will have some improvement.
i think youre right about the cold.after all a sniff in bunny language is athreat to the other bunny isnt it?

Back