• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Bunny - Help Requested please

Liloupricou

Young Bun
Hi all,

We adopted a rabbit from the rescue next to me yesterday, he a lovely little chap named Tiny! Is a year and half old netherland dwarf rabbit. He was abandoned by a family with kids... the usual one! And been in the refuge for quite a while... poor little thing

The girl from the rescue told me that I need to watch what is eating as he tends to not each much.

We put him in his cage yesterday and left the door open, as I know that we have to let him be confortable first... but he's been hidding all that time in his little house... :cry:

How long it normaly takes for the rabbit to get confy and start going around etc...?

Also I've noticed that since yesterday lunch time (time we brought him back) he didn't drink much... is that normal?

I'm going to take him to the Vet this week to see if he's ok. Should I worry or is just a little shy?

Thanks a lot for your help

Just take things really slowly with him for the first few days and try not to overwhelm him with new experiences.

If he is in a cage, you could try putting a towel or sheet over the top so he feels a bit more secure, it may help him come out of his house. As for food and water, if he is eating veg, he won't drink quite as much water. Have you got a bowl or a bottle? Some rabbits prefer one to the other. My female will use either but my male prefers a bowl.

Lilou, my rescue Fuzz was the same for a couple of days when we got him home but now he's a naughty little monkey and I can't believe the change in him! Don't worry, it just takes a couple of days for them to settle in.

I think it just takes some bunnies a little longer to settle in. Trip seemed settled within hours and had made himself at home. It took Beau about a day and Scarlett about 3 days :D

Thanks for all your comments, I really really want him to be ok and feel better he's such a little cutty!

I have covered the cage, leave the door open and will see.

I will keep you posted about his movements! :wink:

He sounds lovely - I'm a real nethie-aholic! Very lucky to have been rescued by you.
It may take him a while to settle in, but I'm sure he'll get used to his new situation. Mine tend not to drink a lot as they have a lot of veg.

Hi, congratulations on your new arrival :D I have a rescued Nethie called Porridge and when he came home he was a little shy but soon settled in quite quickly. Its like he new he was in his forever home :love: Anyway I tried not to overwhelm him and just carried on as normal around him but waited 'till he came to us. Almost act like he's not there if you know what I mean. Anyway he soon came out of his shell - started sitting really close to me and climbing on me when I was reading, he seemed to feel very relaxed but I always waited for him to come to me. He is still a very happy bunny. He's now bonded to Lailey my other rescue who I've had for only 3 weeks and she seems to really love me too :love: Hope this helps. Good luck. He'll soon bunny love you :rabbit2:

Also I've found bunnies like routine so try and feed, clean etc at the same time if possible. I think it makes them feel secure. :lol:

Back