• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hernias in rabbits

Smokey was castrated 2weeks ago this wednesday coming and he has been back for 2 check ups, and I noticed earler this week he had a tiny little lump above his bits. I thought it might be a hernia as I had one, so I got the vet to check him out and he said it was a hernia and to leave it unless it gets any bigger as it could be a risk to sort it. Any advise please would be helpful. I have always taken my rabbits to this vet and have never had any problems so I just want some advise on what to do to put my mind at rest.

One of my Does had a herniated spay and it was successfully repaired. Not sure about them in Bucks tho' :?

Janex

its not very big it is the size of my index finger nail. The vet said leaving it outweighed the risk of putting him under again. He said obviously if it gets bigger then we will need to operate.

Hi,

Last year our rabbit Fluffy ( then age 5) had a hernia operation. The lump was small and on the side of her tummy.

The vet spayed Fluffy at the same time as the hernia operation.

Although Fluffy made a full recovery, she was very quiet at first and we had a job getting her to eat. With a syringe and lots of tlc she was fine within a few days.

Good Luck,

Jane :D

Thank you guys, if he hadnt already been castrated then I would have asked them to sort it t the same time but I am worried about putting him under the knife again so soon.

Back