• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

4 day old babies

MollyMay

Warren Scout
Hi

My rabbit has had babies, they are now 4 days old. She has had 4. This is her 1st litter. And she is doing a fantastic job so far, the babies are really healthy.
Just a few questions, they started to crawl out of the nest today, is this normal, for babies so young to crawl out of the nest.
Yesterday the babies were really lively and active. Today they are more relaxed and sleeping alot, does this mean that they are more content today, they all have lovely big tummys so mum is feeding them all.
I check them all everyday, I cant believe how quick they grow, its unbelievable.

It's more likely that they've been dragged out accidently by mum at that age. Sometimes they'll still be latched on drinking when mum hops out the nest and they end up pulled along. Mum rabbits can't carry their babies like cats. I'd rub your hands in some bedding and pop them back in.

Tam

They are all nice and snug again now. I made a bigger nest for them and made the sides higher so they cant crawl out again. :)
Yes it was an accidental pregnancy, I am sorry to say, but it wont be happening again.
Dad is in another hutch, I took him to the vets last wed, to be neutered, so we wont be having anymore babies thats for sure. And I will take my female in to be spayed in 8 weeks time.
We are going to keep one of the babies, and keep it with mum.

MollyMay said:
They are all nice and snug again now. I made a bigger nest for them and made the sides higher so they cant crawl out again. :)
Yes it was an accidental pregnancy, I am sorry to say, but it wont be happening again.
Dad is in another hutch, I took him to the vets last wed, to be neutered, so we wont be having anymore babies thats for sure. And I will take my female in to be spayed in 8 weeks time.
thats great! if the dad is neutered and mum spayed and the baby neutered/spayed when old enough they can live together as a trio, little bunny family.

whiskyscruffles said:
MollyMay said:
thats great! if the dad is neutered and mum spayed and the baby neutered/spayed when old enough they can live together as a trio, little bunny family.

So true.. :D Look at my 4! Mum, Dad and their 2 daughters
snugglesept06.jpg

Thats lovely. Would you have to bond them all first. I have a double hutch with a run underneath, we could make it into a triple hutch so they could have 3 floors to run around in. They would love that. And they wouldn't get under each others feet. they would have loads of space. :D

Bonding wasn't an issue with my 4. Sooty and Holly lived next to each other and were in love before they actually started living together. Sooty was castrated about a week after he did the naughty deed with the Holly :no: ( was a total accident and still not sure quite how :? ) By the time the babies were big enough to risk putting dad with them, he'd passed the 6 weeks wait after his op. I was very lucky that they all just got on straight away :D They really worked as a couple looking after their kids :) Holly fed them and told them off when they were a bit naughty and Sooty washed them, cuddled up with them and showed them how to do things!! :D

Of course I think it helped that the babies were both females so didn't have to seperate them at any point.

Back