• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pickle and Twinkle NOT happily ever after....

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
Dont know what I am going to do :roll: So angry with the vets for separating them when Twinkle spayed :roll:

Pickle sits in the run all day and wont let Twinkle out there. She is also not allowed in his half of the hutch (I joined two hutches together) which was his old hutch. She is sat in the corner of her part of the hutch all day unless he wants to use the litter tray and then he charges at her so she runs upstairs.

I have found fur in the run so know he is doing more than charging at her. She wont even come into the run if I tease her with some of her favourite veg. She is terrified. :shock:

What do you all suggest? Should I take them both out of the hutch/run for a while (how long) so they forget all about it. There is only the bathroom for them to go and it is really unpractical. They are also both terrified in there for some reason.

I had them in the living room for three hours last night and there were no problems. NO fighting. mutual grooming, and cuddles.

Its so hard this bunny care :roll:

I would say about 2 days out on neutral territory and a thorough clean of the hutch and then they will hopefully be ok together again.

Yup I agree with Mandy. Scrub the hutch and use white vinegar everywhere to remove both of their smells before you return them from the neutral territory.

Good luck!

awww im sorry to hear things arent going well with pickle and twinkle. no advice im afraid but just wanted to say i hope it all works out for you and the love will return asap!

Thanks everyone - tis all my vets fault :roll: dont know whether it would be worth writing to them to put my complaint in black and white.

I did quickly sprinkle some vinegar last night in the run (could only get malt vinegar at corner shop tho). Didnt do any good but suppose I need to keep them away from the whole area for a bit longer so they forget it.

Oh what a pain in the backside this is all becoming - thought once they were bonded that would be that!!!

I had this happen to me once when i had to sperate some bunnies (can't rememeber what for it was a long time ago :oops: ) anyway, they didn't want to know each other so i put them both in the pet carrier and got my dad to drive me round our village. After about 10 - 15 mins of driving i took them home, and they were happily back together!

My theory was that if i stress them out, they will turn to eachother for comfort...it worked for me, so maybe give it a try?

It's*all*about*the*bunny said:
I had this happen to me once when i had to sperate some bunnies (can't rememeber what for it was a long time ago :oops: ) anyway, they didn't want to know each other so i put them both in the pet carrier and got my dad to drive me round our village. After about 10 - 15 mins of driving i took them home, and they were happily back together!

My theory was that if i strees them out, they will turn to eachother forcomfort...it worked for me, so maybe give it a try?

Tried the carrier - took Pickle with Twinkle when she went back to the vets. Were in the carrier together for over an hour and both sat side by side very nicely. Also very nicely togther in living room. JUST WHEN THEY ARE IN THE HUTCH/RUN!!!

Will leave them for tonight - but will start tomorrow with bathroom for two days/nights and completely white vinegar the whole hutch/run area.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww I am so sorry, the vets should of let you take Pickle in as well, mine were fine with it :D when Benji was ill, and Bella stayed the night with him as well, with no extra charge, I think I would say something to the vets,

I hope you are able to sort things out, big hugs coming your way :love:

Ali said:
, I think I would say something to the vets,

Can you believe when I took them both in for Twinkle's check up the vet said "any problems"??

I said well not re: health - she is eating/pooing - all the usual etc, but I said I had major issues with their policy of keeping buns separated as it has caused nothing but trouble.

He said it was for the benefit of Twinkle as she has had major op and didnt need being stressed with Pickle there at the vets.

I said she has had nothing BUT stress since the op as he is now attacking her - how can she recover from a major op with being hounded into the corner of the hutch every minutes of the day/night?

He just looked at me blankly so I walked out (with the buns).

Will compose a letter methinks.

OMG!!!!!! It helps the bunny who is having the op to have the partner with her, I deffo think Bella helped Benji by being with him while he was so sick!!!!

Has Twinkle recovered yet? how are her stitches? I think if it were me in your terrible situation, I would wait untill, she was totally recovered, totally clean all areas where they are together, and then rebond them :wink:

Just my opinion though :D

Ali said:
OMG!!!!!! It helps the bunny who is having the op to have the partner with her, I deffo think Bella helped Benji by being with him while he was so sick!!!!

Has Twinkle recovered yet? how are her stitches? I think if it were me in your terrible situation, I would wait untill, she was totally recovered, totally clean all areas where they are together, and then rebond them :wink:

Just my opinion though :D

Yes she has fully recovered!!! She can run like crazy away from Pickle!! Eating like mad as normal!!

The stitches are healing and the wound is clean and neat. Her fur has started to grow back. At least the vets did that part of the job right!!

My vet wouldn't let Jenny stay with Harley when he was admitted as an emergency. I could sort of understand her reasoning - she needed to see how much he was drinking etc - but equally I thought it would be more stressful for him not to have his partner with him. I wish I had said more at the time - I was so upset I just took her word for it, but with hindsight I wished I had pushed for them to be together.

I'm seriously considering trying a different vet that's about the same distance from me. This new vet is on the RWA list, although I'm going to ring them and get their policy on bonded pairs staying together first! It's a shame, because generally I have no complains about my vet :(

Morrigan1981 said:
My vet wouldn't let Jenny stay with Harley when he was admitted as an emergency. I could sort of understand her reasoning - she needed to see how much he was drinking etc - but equally I thought it would be more stressful for him not to have his partner with him. I wish I had said more at the time - I was so upset I just took her word for it, but with hindsight I wished I had pushed for them to be together.

I'm seriously considering trying a different vet that's about the same distance from me. This new vet is on the RWA list, although I'm going to ring them and get their policy on bonded pairs staying together first! It's a shame, because generally I have no complains about my vet :(

Same here - in all other respects they are great.

They good with my cats and no problems with the ops for both Pickle and Twinkle.

Just their policy on bonded rabbits.

Absolutely the same with me - my cat goes to the same vet and they are great with her. Jenny's had two GAs at the surgery and came sailing through both and recovered very fast. I don't really want to change over, but if there are any problems with either Jenny or Frankie (if they pair up) then I want them to be able to stay together.

If I do switch vets, I'll just I'll keep Libby (cat) registered where she is.

Malt vinegar is ok, though it is more expensive :) Pour it into a sprayer and thoroughly spray it into every nook and cranny, mesh, everything. leave it to dry and then the next day do it again then scrub and rinse. Finish it all off with a pleasant smelling deodourising pet disinfectant. If they are fine in the house during the day then just confine them to the batheroom when you have to go out and overnight. Mine are both indoors at the moment but are shut in the bathroom overnight. It works fine, and you'll only have to do it for a couple of days. Fingers crossed!!

I might start making enquiries of other local vets if they wont change their policy.

How do I know if the new vets are good with rabbits?

My vet will not allow my bunnies to stay together but if you look at my signature you'll see why.......... almost identical!!! Even still, I feel a bit miffed by it.

Fiona x

Fionabun said:
My vet will not allow my bunnies to stay together but if you look at my signature you'll see why.......... almost identical!!! Even still, I feel a bit miffed by it.

Fiona x

Can understand that might cause confusion :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: but they could mark them to know who is who!!

Fionabun said:

Fiona x

Just out of interest (sorry for taking this off topic briefly!) How can you tell them apart? :lol:

Morrigan1981 said:
Fionabun said:

Fiona x

Just out of interest (sorry for taking this off topic briefly!) How can you tell them apart? :lol:

Good question :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back