• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Good/bad veg choices for buns prone to digestive probs?

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
Sorry if I am repeating myself here, but Dusty has had 3 bouts of stasis within a year now. She eats loads of fibre but I am starting to suspect veggies as a possible cause. My bunnies tend to get veggies once a day (small amounts). I feed cabbage, carrot, spring greens, flat leaf parsley and corriander mostly. They don't like 'salady' type veg.

Would be very grateful to hear views; partly on suggested frequency of veg for buns with delicate digestion, and partly about veg choices. Thanks!

I avoid feeding any form of cabbage to my Buns as it can cause them to bloat up.
A couple of my Rexes have problems with too much Carrot. I am assuming this is due to the sugar content :?

I feed mine Spring Greens, Celery, Carrot in moderation, Old Bill LOVES Cucumber but none of the others will touch it. Some of them like Basil but I rarely feed that as with 39 Buns it'd be a bit pricey :shock: I also very occasionally feed them a small amount of Romaine Lettuce

I also hand pick grass for them and in the Summer feed them leaves from my neighbours Apple Tree along with Blackberry Leaves

Janex

I'd agree with cutting out the cabbage. As you probably know from my post Merlin has tum probs too & I've cut out all veges (but particularly cabbage) from his diet now.
I know how hard it is when you keep having probs but don't know why! I feel the same but don't give up :thumb:

Thanks for the responses. I think I am going to give them grass more often now it seems to be growing again rather than daily veg.

A leaf if spring greens in the morning..next day a few leaves of pak choi..next day a little romaine letuce..and every day a bot of spring greens..

i also feed dried strawberry leaves..and dried bl;ackberry leaves..and herbs especially mint..those excle treats are good too but have the camera ready as bertie had one hanging out of his mouth..looked like he was smoking a cigar! missed the photo opportunity tho..

once a week now i feed a few broccoli florets.but they arent too fond of it now. carrot is now a treat as is apple in very small amounts.

like i said slow n steady it can take months to get gut settled..and then that settles the gi probs..

A leaf if spring greens in the morning..next day a few leaves of pak choi..next day a little romaine letuce..and every day a bot of spring greens..

i also feed dried strawberry leaves..and dried bl;ackberry leaves..and herbs especially mint..those excle treats are good too but have the camera ready as bertie had one hanging out of his mouth..looked like he was smoking a cigar! missed the photo opportunity tho..

once a week now i feed a few broccoli florets.but they arent too fond of it now. carrot is now a treat as is apple in very small amounts.

like i said slow n steady it can take months to get gut settled..and then that settles the gi probs..

I tend to avoid feeding Jen cabbage too... although she's never really had a problem with it, I've seen a few posts on here where cabbage has been highlighed as an issue and I want to be safe rather than sorry! :D

Back