• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How often do you clean out your buns/ piggies hutches/cages

How often do you clean out your buns/piggies hutches/cages?

• daily

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • every other day

• as soon as becomes dirty

• Total voters

Flo

Alpha Buck
Just wondered if I am cleaning my lot out too often. I tend to do it every other day (just the dirty bits) and then the whole lot once a week, whether it is dirty or not...

My Buns live in open Pens and each Pen is cleaned out daily :D

Jimmy and Nelson, my Piggies live in a 6ft indoor hutch and are cleaned out every day too :D

Janex

I do Ambers and her babies cage every other day, especially s it becomes dirty alot more with the 4 of them in. Buttons has his done once a week.

That's what I do :thumb: The litter trays are emptied every other day, then the whole lot once a week.

When Harley and Jen were in together though Jen gave up on her litter training, so I started cleaning them out completely twice a week. Whenever or not I do that when Jen and Frankie are together depends on how messy a bun he is :lol:

I voted weekly, but litter trays daily (sometimes twice a day if it needs it). Saturday or Sunday is usually my big clean out day. Every day I also sweep the floors in the sheds and clean up any obvious major mess !

I kind of cheated by voting 'as soon as it becomes dirty' which could mean once a month... :lol:

I do more tidying than actual cleaning, I think. (Bearing in mind Muppet is an indoor bun and is 99% litter trained :D and I've only had him two months and it's an evolving routine.)

The litter tray gets emptied twice a day and washed if it needs it (ie, if there's enough wee that it's soaked through the litter to the tray).

I tidy up old food before putting out fresh (so, twice a day; except hay, I do that once a day).

I tidy up the rest of the cage once or twice a week - giving the vet bed a good shake, emptying the cage and sweeping all the bits up.

Other than that I'm not really sure - I suppose I might wash the cage itself and the vetbed once a month. Dunno!

i clean litter areas / trays every other day and a big clean out at the weekend for the whole hutch....

which i must start now :? :lol: :lol: :lol:

i clean the litter tray daily in Buzz's hutch, then clean it out every other day, his hay trays get replaced if he hasnt eaten it or as it runs down. the guineas need cleaning out every other day, but its a case of about 70% of it is clean but there are piggy poos everywhere! theyre messy so and so's except my solo boy piggy who wees and even poos in one corner only, so thats scooped out every day and he gets cleaned completely about twice a week.

Rudy lives in a dog crate so i change his litter tray daily. His paper will depend on if hes got it dirty or has had a mass ripping session lol

I voted weekly but it really depends what state the hutch is in.If it is horrid after 2 days i would still clean it out.But even if it looks clean after 1 week i still clean it out.

Amy

I change the litter trays every day, and scrub the hutches out once a week :D I sweep and tidy the runs every two days because they take all the beeding out the hutches and scatter it around the runs :lol: :roll:

I clean out the litter trays and replace the the paper underneath the hay every day. I actually do the litter trays twice a day.

Once a week, I clean out the whole playhouse, disinfect and replace all the hay.

My lot are quite messy, so this is really the absolute minimum.

I didn't know how to vote really. I do the litter trays twice a day, but the whole lot once a week.

I voted weekly although all my lot are litter trained and the trays are done as and when needed.

A couple of the hutches are only completely cleaned every two weeks as the occupants do everything outside :D

I voted every other day - but hmm its actually twice a week.... with sunday being the big clean ( ie disinfecting and all that)
But outside Hay/litter tray gets done every day....
and they are inside for most of the afternoon/evening and are litter trained inside to..
At the moment though their hutch/run doesnt need cleaning as much cos they've been sleeping with me while my parents are away * dont tell them though :oops: :lol: *

Every day for Audreys litter tray, once a week change of blanket in her cage as she doesnt toilet on it so it stays clean anyway.

didnt know what to vote so i voted as soon as it becomes dirty because sometimes i have to do oscar piggie every other day, harvey seems to not use his litter tray for poops anymore so have to clean them up everyday from all over the shed floor. he wee's in it tho so will clean and wash the tray every day and will scrub and disinfect each hutch every week. and will do the shed floor once a month. will be nice when i get my new hutch and wont have a whole entire shed floor to scrub! lol.
does anyone else enjoy cleaning out the animals? i love doing it i find it really relaxing and making it all nice for them!

The litter boxes are done every 3 days (or sooner if needed)
The whole cage is done probably once a week.

I used to clean the whole thing everyday but I found myself wasting a lot of hay and litter in the process!

Leah xx

I'm surprised so many people clean once a week :shock: Are they all incredibly good at using a litter tray?!
I do mine every other day (complete clean out) and a bit of sweeping up on the days between.
Even my "tidy" buns would be up to their knees in poop after a week! :lol:

Back