• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone do their own vaccinations?

Spacegirl said:
I know a few people give injectable abx themselves and I wondered if anyone does vaccines too?

I do my VHDs but not the Myxis cos I am not confident re the intradermal bit

Janex

How does it work Jane? Presumably your vet taught you first then . . .do you buy a batch of meds and do a whole lot of them at once?

Spacegirl said:
How does it work Jane? Presumably your vet taught you first then . . .do you buy a batch of meds and do a whole lot of them at once?

Yes. I buy the new VHD now, Lapinject. It comes in 5 dose bottles instead of 10 and is cheaper than the Cylap. Once opened the Lapinject Vaccine has to be used within 8 hours so I try to schedule the VHD Vaccs in multiples of 5
Christobel is coming over to do all 39 Myxis in a couple of weeks.

Janex

VHD is a nasty vacc though, accidently stab your thumb and it's a hospital trip! I'd rather my vet took the risk :wink:

If you've got lots of bunnies getting a vet/vet nurse to come out is another option.

Tam

bunbuns said:
Wow! That must be hard work! Do you re-home them or are they all yours?

I dont rehome them. Most of them came from Rescues. I know I'd help many more Buns if I did Rescue AND Rehome but I am not able to do that for lots of reasons.
So when a Bun comes here they stay here :)

Janex

Thats lovely. Hope your Buns realize how lucky they are! It must be a full time job.

Well done you!

Back