• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

new baby....hopefully now NOT going to die

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
we have a baby wild bun who is about 7 - days old .

he wont feed with a bottle or syringe :cry:

we have a female bunny in with milk .

we are putting her 3 babies to her to feed (they are not living with her)

we think the only chance this baby has is to do the same with him .

our worry is that the baby may be carrying something such as myxi and may pass it on to the mum . :? but if we dont do this we are going to have to watch the poor new baby die :cry: :cry:

it must be a very small risk :? is it worth it . should we just do it ??

Angie

Oh heck! Thats a tough one!

I'm guessing the mum bunny isn't vaccinated?

I was reading something earlier about a vet who has come up with a concoction to hand rear a baby bun on, it's obviously not been researched so I don't know how successful it is but this vet seems to swear by it. Do you want to see the link?

Sorry if I've been no help...

Nicola

Re: new baby going to die

bunnymadhouse said:

our worry is that the baby may be carrying something such as myxi and may pass it on to the mum . :? but if we dont do this we are going to have to watch the poor new baby die :cry: :cry:

Angie

I would risk it, just a personal opinion

Janex

Oh heck! Thats a tough one!

I'm guessing the mum bunny isn't vaccinated?

I was reading something earlier about a vet who has come up with a concoction to hand rear a baby bun on, it's obviously not been researched so I don't know how successful it is but this vet seems to swear by it. Do you want to see the link?

can send it if you can ....wont do any good for this one though as we ve got milk but he wont take it . :cry:

Re: new baby going to die

Jack's-Jane said:
bunnymadhouse said:

Angie

I would risk it, just a personal opinion

Janex
ditto.I would too.

I very much doubt myxi would pass that way. Myxi is transmitted by blood or infected discharge. Unless baby has fleas (which at 7 days would be pretty obvious) or shows signs of myxi (e.g. runny/swollen eyes) then I don't think feeding is a risk. Babies under 8 weeks don't get VHD but I'm not sure if they can carry it. What do you know about the history of the family - if they all died sudden deaths then I'd been more cautious otherwise risk is pretty small.

If it's not living with mum and mum isn't the one washing it's bum then the chances of anything passing must be pretty tiny.

I'd take the precaution of feeding that baby last at each session and disinfecting the mum after wards ( a wipe with a safe antibacterial) but otherwise, personally, I'd give it ago.

Tam

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:53 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I very much doubt myxi would pass that way. Myxi is transmitted by blood or infected discharge. Unless baby has fleas (which at 7 days would be pretty obvious) or shows signs of myxi (e.g. runny/swollen eyes) then I don't think feeding is a risk. Babies under 8 weeks don't get VHD but I'm not sure if they can carry it. What do you know about the history of the family - if they all died sudden deaths then I'd been more cautious otherwise risk is pretty small.

If it's not living with mum and mum isn't the one washing it's bum then the chances of anything passing must be pretty tiny.

I'd take the precaution of feeding that baby last at each session and disinfecting the mum after wards ( a wipe with a safe antibacterial) but otherwise, personally, I'd give it ago.

the nest was found near a stable in a pile of straw . something had trashed the nest and killed the other babies . definatly not just died as they were decapitated and spread around . there was quite a bit of blood so whatever got the babies may have got mum too .

pretty sure its a wild bun although it was a strange place for a rabbit to nest .

we had thought of wiping mum down in between . will use sterilising solution well diluted i think .

WELL WE DID IT :?

Now have one fat contented baby :D

we are starting to wean the older ones off mum and onto kitten milk any way now as we think she is pregnant again and they pull and nip so much that she is starting to get cross with them .

we may have to re think soon though as we are pretty sure she is pregnant again . :?

gawd ....stress ....what stress :? :roll:

she was very calm and good while the little one fed :D

phew!!! Sweet little baby!!

:love:

Do you really think she is pregnant then? Tracey was saying on wednesday it was a possibility...

Nicola

Back