• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Twiggy is ill again - drinking LOADS of water...any ideas?

houndour

Warren Scout
Quick update on Twiggys history...

She has pasteurella, and suffered badly from an ear infection about 4 - 5 months ago. She pulled through the ear infection, but we knew it would return and would possibly be worse.

On Monday she developed a head tilt, but was eating extremely well and the vets said to watch her.

Tuesday her eating declined, she ignored her pellets and just ate leafy greens and hay. She had a jab and was booked in to be put under on Thursday so they could look at her ears.

Wednesday she didn't eat a thing, so we took her to vet in evening and different vet was there and he gave her vitamins and a jab and we tried (quite unsuccessfully) to force feed her pureed pellets. We also noticed she has been drinking a lot. Usually we _never_ see her drink, and this night she seemed to almost constantly drink.

Thursday there were maybe 5 small wet pellets from the force feed the night before. She spent the day at the vet, had bloods (to check kidneys and liver) and her teeth, jaw and ears were checked. Her mouth is fine. Her ears are bad and possibly the infection has spread to the inner ear. We've been told the only way out here is an operation, but this op has such a poor success rate the vet doesn't seem to agree that it's best for her.

As for her drinking, the vet has found inconsistent results with blood and urine tests and can't work out if she has liver/kidney problems or whether shes drinking just through stress or something.

Thursday night I force fed her a recovery solution given to me by the vet. Managed to get 20ml down her. Checked in on her at 3am and then 6am and she still hadn't touched her food (pellets, greens, carrots or brocolli).
Called vet first thing and shes spent the day at the vet being force fed every couple of hours. Just phoned at 3 and she's still not passed pellets and she's still not eating (voluntarily). She's possibly going to stay at vets overnight.

This is the worst Twiggys ever been. She's only been off her food for 12 hours at the most before.
Anyone have any ideas about the excessive drinking?

Thanks
Sam and Twiggy.

Not as far as I'm aware. I'll speak to the vet about that tonight. I can see why you'd suggest that...looking on google it mentions kidney failure. But the tests we had back give contradicting results that imply there might ot might not be kidney failure.

Would the head tilt be constant? I didn't mention in the original post that the tilt went after about 24 hours.

unless it was treated I dont think it would go away....if it responded to anitbiotics then its an infection. Most vets treat head tilt with Baytril and Panacur just incase but then its hard to know which it has responded to. They can run tests for you.

As she is hospitalised I assume she must be on pain relief and gut motility stimulant meds aswell as antibiotics.
Has a skull X-ray been taken to determine if infection is in the middle or inner ear?
A Bulla Osteotomy (removal of infected tissue from middle ear) can be attempted but personally I would not consider it for one of my Bunnies. I do hope Twiggy starts to respond to treatment

Janex

She had an xray done last time and I believe it was middle ear infection at that stage. The vet said the consisitency of the infection has changed...

Ah, Bulla Osteotomy...yes thats the op. But like you, my vet didn't seem to approve of the idea.

I'm just so worried about the fact that she's not eating. She's usually such a piggy and knocks the bowl out of my hands!

houndour said:
She had an xray done last time and I believe it was middle ear infection at that stage. The vet said the consisitency of the infection has changed...

Ah, Bulla Osteotomy...yes thats the op. But like you, my vet didn't seem to approve of the idea.

I'm just so worried about the fact that she's not eating. She's usually such a piggy and knocks the bowl out of my hands!

Do you know what pain relief she is on? Maybe her pain is not being adequately controlled :?

Janex

No, I do not know. I don't even know if she was on any pain killers. Sorry I should really ask these things but I usually end up in floods of tears at the vet and my mind becomes a blur and I don't recall much.

Twiggy came home today, she's been syringed fed at the vets for the last 36 hours, and her bowl movements are good again.

She's started to eat volutarily (gradually...started with a small piece of apple, and now she's eaten some greens and brocolli) now I've got her home. I'm injecting her with antibiotics (for the ears). Her ear is no longer down and she's more active and 'happy' for now. She's due back at the vets on Monday and we need to decide the next move for the ear infection.

Her drinking has also gone back to normal.

How do I ever know what to do? Although the vet hasn't said to me bluntly she has hinted there will come the day where we may need to put her to sleep. How can you tell when a rabbit's in pain? I just don't know what to do for the best.

houndour said:
No, I do not know. I don't even know if she was on any pain killers. Sorry I should really ask these things but I usually end up in floods of tears at the vet and my mind becomes a blur and I don't recall much.

Twiggy came home today, she's been syringed fed at the vets for the last 36 hours, and her bowl movements are good again.

She's started to eat volutarily (gradually...started with a small piece of apple, and now she's eaten some greens and brocolli) now I've got her home. I'm injecting her with antibiotics (for the ears). Her ear is no longer down and she's more active and 'happy' for now. She's due back at the vets on Monday and we need to decide the next move for the ear infection.

Her drinking has also gone back to normal.

How do I ever know what to do? Although the vet hasn't said to me bluntly she has hinted there will come the day where we may need to put her to sleep. How can you tell when a rabbit's in pain? I just don't know what to do for the best.

Nursing a chronically sick Bunny is such a worry isnt it :cry:
Not eating and reduced GI motility is often a good indication of whether a Bun is in pain. If in pain a Bun just wont eat.
Also, just imagin how we as humans may feel with a raging middle ear infection :cry: But it appears that the antibiotics are getting the infection under control as from what you say Twiggy seems brighter within herself :) I would ask your Vet if they think some anti-inflammatory medication would be a good idea. My Vet always says controlling pain is as important as controlling infection.

Hopefully now she is home Twiggy will feel happier within herself and thats always a good thing to aid recovery. Please keep us posted as to how she is getting on

Janex

A little update...Twiggy did not appear to eat anything other than 1 whole leaf of greens last night, but throughout the day she's eat 1/2 a carrot, more nibbles on several bits of brocolli and best of all I've caught her eating some Excel pellets. She's probably only had 2 spoonfuls over the entire day, but at least its an improvement and her poos are starting to look good again.

Personality wise she's back to normal, and even let me do her jab without any fuss. Oh and she's already redecorating her new box we got her (making her hole she likes next to her litter tray for a quick exit).

My hubby is taking Twiggy to the vet tomorrow morning. Will update then.

houndour said:
A little update...Twiggy did not appear to eat anything other than 1 whole leaf of greens last night, but throughout the day she's eat 1/2 a carrot, more nibbles on several bits of brocolli and best of all I've caught her eating some Excel pellets. She's probably only had 2 spoonfuls over the entire day, but at least its an improvement and her poos are starting to look good again.

Personality wise she's back to normal, and even let me do her jab without any fuss. Oh and she's already redecorating her new box we got her (making her hole she likes next to her litter tray for a quick exit).

My hubby is taking Twiggy to the vet tomorrow morning. Will update then.

It sounds as though Twiggy is gradually feeling better :) I hope things go well with the Vet's appointment

Janex

Twiggy does infact have E.Cuniculi

We're picking up the treatment tonight.

I'm confused as to what the outlook is.

Twiggy already has ear infections, now E.Cuniculi, pasteurella...

My poor little baby is just a mass of medical problems.

Sorry to hear she's so poorly, sending vibes and hugs for her to continue to recover, she's certainly got the lot hasn't she :(

Thank you everyone for your help.

Twiggy improved greatly when we got her home (after having to be force fed). She is eating normally again now and back to her usual self :) She's still taking Panacur (about another 10 days to go now).

houndour said:
Thank you everyone for your help.

Twiggy improved greatly when we got her home (after having to be force fed). She is eating normally again now and back to her usual self :) She's still taking Panacur (about another 10 days to go now).

I am so pleased that Twiggy is doing well :D

Janex

sounds like diabetes to me though

(head tilt- eye related) diabetes affects sight.

lots of water being drunk- changing food habbits.

you should get her blood sugar checked

It's good they've managed to make a positive diagnosis and she can receive the appropriate medication. I'm sure she will make a full reovery, thinking of you both.

Back