• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How often do you take your bun in for checkups?

brunof

New Kit
Now that I think about it, Bugs has not seen a vet since he was neutered years ago. I would like to take him to a vet sometime in the near future. I believe he is in good health (A month of living with me has done him so much good! :D) but I guess I'd like to get him checked out. How often do you take your babies in? II figure it could be pretty stressful for him, so I'm kind of apprehensive to actually take him somewhere...What's your thoughts?

And to you all, thanks again for all your help over the past month!

I am beginning to think I might aswell move my lot into the Vets permanently :roll:

I guess a healthy Bun should have a check up when they have their annual vaccinations.Or Bi-annually if the Myxi Vacc is given every 6 months

Janex :)

I'm with jane I've been living at the vets a bit too recently, if I get a week off it's a treat :shock: should I get a healthy rabbit checkups would be every 6 months with the Myxi vacc :D

IsabelM said:
how do you know if the myxi jab is 6months or 12months or are they all one or the other?

Its all the same, you can just choose to have it done every 6 months if you live in a high risk area...which Nottingham is BTW according to my vet.

Also, the worst time for Myxi is spring/summer so I will book Audrey in later this month.

mandy said:
IsabelM said:
how do you know if the myxi jab is 6months or 12months or are they all one or the other?

Its all the same, you can just choose to have it done every 6 months if you live in a high risk area...which Nottingham is BTW according to my vet.

Also, the worst time for Myxi is spring/summer so I will book Audrey in later this month.

Thanks Mandy, So do you think even though mine live indoors it would be a good idea for them (well obviousely they won't think it's a good idea)

IsabelM said:
mandy said:
IsabelM said:

Thanks Mandy, So do you think even though mine live indoors it would be a good idea for them (well obviousely they won't think it's a good idea)

Because I have Worm the cat and myxi can be transported by fleas this is more of a reason to get Audrey done for me (although Worm does have flea drops obviously!)

When did Barney and Roxy have their vaccination?
I read on here before that the vaccine is less effective towards the end of the 12 months...so if for example they had a yearly jab just before the summer (march-aprilish) they'd probably be ok but if they had it at the end of the summer then they would be more at risk during peak flea season.....dont quote me on that though :lol:

This month will be 6 months since Audrey had her jab so I thought it best to make sure she has maximum immunity seeing as what the vet said.

Mine get checked over when vaccinated, but if I'm even remotely worried I will pop them in, it costs a fortune, but it's better than worrying.

Annually with vacs but tbh they nearly always need to go to the vets for something or other every 6 months so they get checked then.

When mine go for their vacs, once a year, unless they have any other problems in the mean time :D

mandy said:
When did Barney and Roxy have their vaccination?
I read on here before that the vaccine is less effective towards the end of the 12 months...so if for example they had a yearly jab just before the summer (march-aprilish) they'd probably be ok but if they had it at the end of the summer then they would be more at risk during peak flea season.....dont quote me on that though :lol:

This month will be 6 months since Audrey had her jab so I thought it best to make sure she has maximum immunity seeing as what the vet said.

Cool, checked Bareny's and it was about July so I think I'll book them in as I want to get them weighed etc too.

Back