• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How would you define rabbit affection?

brunof

New Kit
I've been spending a lot of time with Bugs since he moved into the dormitory with me last month. I've really enjoyed the time we have spent together, and I think we have bonded, but I can't say that Bugs in particularly affectionate toward me. He will nudge up against me if he wants something or pull on my pant leg, but I can't say he would be too upset if I disappeared tomorrow and someone else took my place. But perhaps I'm guilty of comparing him to my dog or something. This leads to to ask the question of just how affection your bun is to you? And for those with multiples, do you find a lot of discrepancy with the level of affection between your buns? :wink:

I've posted this in the pictures and stories bit but this is tango's affection
Tangohug.jpg

Thanks for sharing Catherine! Your picture reminds me -- sometimes Bugs will take his front paws and "dig" on my shoulder and then pull at my t-shirt sleeve with his teeth...I'm kind of a wimp because he use to bite me so I'm afraid that will get some of my skin...would you say this is a sign of affection?

Tango is my first so I wouldn't really be able to say he does do the digging and gently "nipping" with his teeth to me though I've always thought that was part of him grooming me because he usually does it when I'm grooming him, but like I said I'm no expert.
Tango also licks me when I am stroking him

brunof said:
Thanks for sharing Catherine! Your picture reminds me -- sometimes Bugs will take his front paws and "dig" on my shoulder and then pull at my t-shirt sleeve with his teeth...I'm kind of a wimp because he use to bite me so I'm afraid that will get some of my skin...would you say this is a sign of affection?

I would say this is attention seeking behaviour, maybe linked to wanting food! Sylvia used to nip me quite a lot, I have trained her out of this naughty habit and now she is mostly very good. I find Sylvia is very good at reminding me if I've forgotten something, (esp her food) and she will often climb up on the sofa if she wants a treat and come and sit on me! b-m

My buns do these 4 things showing affection:
sitting close to me especially right by my feet, appearing wherever I am in the house; clidking their teeth gently. Sometimes I make a clicking sound back and they do it back and forth with me, kind of like how people communicate with horses; doing a bunny flop next to me (the fuller and higher the flop over, the greater the expression of content it seems!) and licking my face.
One of my buns took 6 months to get to this level of trust, but it was
so rewarding because when I first got him he couldn't even be touched or approached. You are in for an amazing experience if you let your bun take his time trusting and showing you his affection.

Mow (the bun on the left in the picture below) licks us!

The other night he ran up to Jo (she was sitting on the floor and I was laying down) climbed on her lap reached up and licked her nose then immediately ran over to me and licked my nose and forehead!

Last night he spent a few minutes sorting my hair out and licking - think he likes his Dad! :oops: :lol:

Barley seems to be a bit more distant - he doesn't like being held for long but comes up to us and will climb all over us - funny as they have both been treated the same from the day they were born!

DavenJo

I'm not sure that bunnies show that much affection, especially a bonded pair - Pippa and MJ are very affectionate towards each other but when I go away and a friend looks after them they don't mind one bit, as long as they get fed :lol: They do like noserubs and stamp if it's someone other than me in the shed though

A single bun is probably different as they look to you for the affection, but I've not had a single bun for any length of time.

My guineapigs on the otherhand pined and stopped eating the last time I went away for a few days, which is sweet but worrying as what happens if I go away for two weeks :?

Before Harley, Jen was very affectionate with me - she'd lick my hand or try and climb on my lap if I had my laptop with me and chin my knees :love:

However, once she was in a bonded pair she saved all of her affectionate gestures for Harley, not that I minded that at all... it was lovely to see :love: Plus, Harley was there all day with her whereas I was at work for a good part of the day :(

Jen's started licking me again now though, which was one of the reasons I decided that she's probably ready for another companion :D

In some ways I'm lucky having 5 single (for now) bunnies - although I wish that they were bonded.

Gus has always been very affectionate but he was starved of affection when we got him and he's clung to me ever since. He will come up and climb on my knee, nudge me when he wants fussing - I have to stroke him for hours and he actually likes to be picked up. I pick him up and cuddle him every morning and every night. He will also groom me if I'm stroking him.

Lola doesnt like being handled but she bounds up to us every time she sees us and again nudges for cuddles - especially if she sees Gus having some affection. They both have a tendency to lie across my feet if i have them in the living room.

I also have a confession to make :lol: - when gus was a single bunny he had free range of the house and he used to climb on the bed and sleep between me & Gail

Bracken isnt as affectionate but occasionally she comes up to us and just stares at us until we stroke her - she's slowly coming out of her shell

Frida hates being handled - attacks most living creatures that venture into her pen :shock: (apart from me) but since she's been spayed she will let you stroke her for short periods. However, she has a close attachment to me and follows me round like a dog. She also sits across my feet if I sit on the floor.

Zeb is just like Gus (must be a boy bunny thing) - he comes up and demands cuddles although he's not keen on being picked up. He also climbs on our knees if he feels he's being ignored.

Audrey is the most affectionate bunn I've ever known - she gets really excited when she sees me and jumps up at my legs and butts me. When I sit on the floor with her she groom my knees :D and then she rests her paws and head on my knee so I can rub her head. She likes to lie up against me so I can stroke her head too.

I dont know if she'd particuarily care if it is me or someone else who cared for her, but she doesnt like my ex and only follows him if he goes to the fridge :lol: .

She hates being picked up though and gets very angry with me if I have to...(to check her feet etc.)

When Rowan came she wasnt as friendly, but I think rabbits should be in pairs so that was ok. Unfortunately she cant have another friend yet due to current circumstances but she will.

catherine said:
Tango is my first so I wouldn't really be able to say he does do the digging and gently "nipping" with his teeth to me though I've always thought that was part of him grooming me because he usually does it when I'm grooming him, but like I said I'm no expert.
Tango also licks me when I am stroking him

After I'd posted this I did think that Tango does do the digging thing when he wants me to stroke him or getting food or when I'm doing my own thing he'll come up and do it too my legs.

I think single bunnies tend to be more affectionate towards people. My neighbour's rabbit escaped into my garden the other day and he was so friendly, it was really sweet.

Of my two, Inky is more affectionate towards humans and I would say that he does love me! He licks my arms and snuggles up. However, although Smokey avoids most people, she seems to love me in her own way, she nudges me for nose rubs and she is always the first to come and say 'Hello' in the morning. I think they are just individaul int he way they show their affection.

I think our pecking order goes Smokey, Inky and me last!

Jack is very affectionate towards me - he likes to lay down beside me on an evening, demands as much fuss as I can give him and chatters aways to me by clicking his teeth. He is constanly under my feet sometimes for food but sometimes for attentions. He loves to be picked up and cuddled too. Milly is getting more and more affectionate and will lay out near me and just sit watching me - she is very affectionate to Jack though.

Brunof, you live in a dorm? I hadn't read the whole thread as usual.
Maybe you should apply for RA next semester, or start giving your
current RA cards and presents every holiday. I would hate for you to
learn to love her so much only to then be told she has to go.
Well good for you anyway, I was never so bold at your age & rules are
made to be broken.

CARASBLANCO said:
Brunof, you live in a dorm? I hadn't read the whole thread as usual.
Maybe you should apply for RA next semester, or start giving your
current RA cards and presents every holiday. I would hate for you to
learn to love her so much only to then be told she has to go.
Well good for you anyway, I was never so bold at your age & rules are
made to be broken.

Yes, I live in a dorm, and it is illegal to keep anything pet related, except for fish, but I don't really care. I know if the RA found out I had a rabbit he would probably tell the hall director, and he would have to move back home. But I plan on keeping him a secret, and have done so for a month. I honestly don't think he will be discrovered. No one ever comes into my room, and I know when I do have to move out at the end of the academic year my parents will come and help me move him. This being said, I know I have to extra careful my room door is closed and latched every time I go out! :lol:

Thanks for your concern, but I hope I have the bases covered! I just hope this time he has with me will be a bonding time for us!

I've found with my two they don't come up to me wanting a cuddle like my cat does, but they show affection in different ways. Like binkying up to me when I go out to see them and climbing up onto my knee asking for attention. :D

I think my Trip is the most affectionate bunny ever :love: He loves being cuddled and getting attention and will lay on me grooming me for ages :lol: I thought he would stop once he was bonded with Scarlett but he is still exactly the same, and Scarlett will cuddle up next to me while Trip sits on me.

Buu goes nuts when I go out to her and binkies around and flops when I get into the run, she doesnt really cuddle up but nudges me to let me know she wants nose rubs and kind of jumps up at me while Im crawling into the run :D But I have watched from the window when my mum or brother have gone out to feed her or see her when I wasnt well and she just sat there, so I think she loves me :D

Beau is still a bit nervous when you go up to him but once he realises that you are coming to give him loads of attention he will cuddle up and groom me.

Benny used to come to us just for some love. If we were sitting or lying on the sofa he would jump up and get into position alongside us for a cuddle and nose strokes. If, heaven forbid, we stopped for a few seconds he would give you a dig or a hard nudge to make you carry on!

If his dad was sitting on the floor playing playstation games Benny would put his paws on his leg or dig at him for attention or jump up on the sofa behind his head and nudge him from behind as if to say 'stop playing that silly game daddy - give me some love instead!' I would often come home from work and find them asleep on the sofa together.

Benny was a real softie who always wanted our attention, especially daddys. He passed away on Friday and are absolutely devastated.

chubbina said:
Benny was a real softie who always wanted our attention, especially daddys. He passed away on Friday and are absolutely devastated.

:cry: so sorry to hear that.Binky free Benny.

Squidgy is a very affectionate bunny and I often eat breakfast whilst having my ankle licked (it's the only part he can reach!) He's a very licky bunny, and likes to groom our faces most.
This is one of my favourite pictures
DSCN1014.jpg

Back