• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with bunny friends

zippie161

New Kit
Hi there :)

My bunny (Brian, approx 10mths old) lives with me in my family home. He is an indoor rabbit. We have 3 cats which he loves to chase around(when they let him!)

I will soon hopefully be looking for my own place and as he is my rabbit i will want to take him with me. i am worried that he might get lonely without the attention of the cats and also my mum who often looks after him whilst i am at work.

I was thinking i could get him a new friend, either another rabbit, cat or a guinea pig. Im not sure which one would be best or if he would even accept someone new? (A few years a ago i had two outdoor rabbits who fought constantly and had to be kept in separate halfs of the garden!

I dont want the same thing to happen again, (it doesnt help that brian has a bit of a temper sometimes) so i was wondering if anyone had some advice on which would be the best way to go about it?

Thankyou :)
Jo

Hi there and welcome!
It good thinking to get him a friend - rabbits are very sociable animals and it will help to keep him happy while you're not there.
Guinea pigs shouldn't be put in with rabbits - they have different food needs and a rabbit can accidentaly harm a guinea pig and cause a lot of damage.
The best friend for a rabbit is another rabbit! They will speak the same "language" and once you see two happy bunnies together you will see why its such a good idea :D
A speyed female rabbit would probably make the best companion for your boy. But it would be a good idea to get him neutered first, if you haven't already done so, or he may be a bit frisky with a girl! If you go to a rescue they should be able to help you with pairing them up and that way you don't have to worry anout bringing a rabbit home and finding they don't get on. Lots of rescues will offer a bonding service (at no extra coat!) to make sure you have a happy pair before you takee them home.

Hope that helps :D

Back