PDA

View Full Version : Help with bunny friends

zippie161
01-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Hi there :)

My bunny (Brian, approx 10mths old) lives with me in my family home. He is an indoor rabbit. We have 3 cats which he loves to chase around(when they let him!)

I will soon hopefully be looking for my own place and as he is my rabbit i will want to take him with me. i am worried that he might get lonely without the attention of the cats and also my mum who often looks after him whilst i am at work.

I was thinking i could get him a new friend, either another rabbit, cat or a guinea pig. Im not sure which one would be best or if he would even accept someone new? (A few years a ago i had two outdoor rabbits who fought constantly and had to be kept in separate halfs of the garden!

I dont want the same thing to happen again, (it doesnt help that brian has a bit of a temper sometimes) so i was wondering if anyone had some advice on which would be the best way to go about it?

Thankyou :)
Jo

Spacegirl
01-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Hi there and welcome!
It good thinking to get him a friend - rabbits are very sociable animals and it will help to keep him happy while you're not there.
Guinea pigs shouldn't be put in with rabbits - they have different food needs and a rabbit can accidentaly harm a guinea pig and cause a lot of damage.
The best friend for a rabbit is another rabbit! They will speak the same "language" and once you see two happy bunnies together you will see why its such a good idea :D
A speyed female rabbit would probably make the best companion for your boy. But it would be a good idea to get him neutered first, if you haven't already done so, or he may be a bit frisky with a girl! If you go to a rescue they should be able to help you with pairing them up and that way you don't have to worry anout bringing a rabbit home and finding they don't get on. Lots of rescues will offer a bonding service (at no extra coat!) to make sure you have a happy pair before you takee them home.

Hope that helps :D