• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help with poo please!

Snowy

Wise Old Thumper
You may remember a couple of weeks ago Frodo had stasis, he was treated by the vet and had injections of oxytet, metoclop and metacam and was given fibreplex and prepulsid orally.

He seems to be a lot better and is running around, grooming, washing, taking an interest in the other bunnies and appears to be happy...but

He isn't eating as much as he was and his poo's a still very small and dark and I am worried

poo2-1.jpg

Any advice please

Is he still on probiotics?

Can you try to tempt him to eat hay with some nice herbal varieties and offer him some moisture filled veggies?

Sooz22 said:
Is he still on probiotics?

Can you try to tempt him to eat hay with some nice herbal varieties and offer him some moisture filled veggies?

Yes he is still having probiotics and he will not eat hay, I have tried with all sort, meadow, oxbow, alfafa and he just will not be tempted and I am so worried about him

How old is Frodo?
Reduced GI motility/stasis is very often a secondary symptom of another primary problem.
I cant remember if you said he is a 'Dental Bun' :? Could oral discomfort be the cause of his reduced GI motility?
Will he eat any of the dried grasses? Lack of long fibre will mean his guts are sluggish and so his poos will be small but I would also look at any other physical problem that MIGHT be causing discomfort.

Janex :)

Jack's-Jane said:
How old is Frodo?
Reduced GI motility/stasis is very often a secondary symptom of another primary problem.
I cant remember if you said he is a 'Dental Bun' :? Could oral discomfort be the cause of his reduced GI motility?
Will he eat any of the dried grasses? Lack of long fibre will mean his guts are sluggish and so his poos will be small but I would also look at any other physical problem that MIGHT be causing discomfort.

Janex :)

Frodo is 4 years old and what started his stasis was a sharp spike growing into his cheek which had given him an ulcer, he had his teeth done and he has improved but he is still not his normal self.

The spike incident was 2 weeks ago!

He does seem bright and alert and is running around but something is not right!

maybe another spur on other side?

it can take weeks to onths ive been advised..Bifs fianlyypooing heaps and bigger something shifted in her gut and bingo! what about blades f grass fed by hand and dandelion leaves and fresh herbs,..
maybe worth getting hay expetrts or bunnybasics trial packs to tempt him..i agree with Jane it always a sign of something wrong painwise somehwere else..might be worth taking a trip back to vets sadly..Bif was going back n forth to vets with this problem..no or few weeny weeny poos.

Thanks for the advice.

I didn't realize it could take weeks or months to get over, although I am concerned that he may have more teeth problems so will be going back to the vet

I am just sooo worried about him

Theo is he kept solo? If so do you know exactly how many pellets he is eating and what kind is he fed?

Could try syringe feeding him some mashed up high fibre pellets to see if his poos get bigger :?
Have you tried him with dried grass?

honeybunny said:
Theo is he kept solo? If so do you know exactly how many pellets he is eating and what kind is he fed?

Could try syringe feeding him some mashed up high fibre pellets to see if his poos get bigger :?
Have you tried him with dried grass?

Yes, he is a single house bun and so I can watch exactly what he eats etc and so can also keep an eye on his poo's, he is on SS pellets but not eating many, maybe just two or three

I have syringed him critical care and thought I would try with some mashed up A&P pellets but it is just so worrying

That's virtually the exact same thing happens to my bunny Goofball. And it takes more than 2 weeks. It took her about 1 mth. to fully recover to a normal diet, but then we discovered the real teeth problem. So from the time after the surgery till today, it's not 2 weeks but your bunny should be on anti-biotics from the infection and that anti-biotics can affect his regular diet.

Have you tried your bun on some nice parsley or corriander. When mine was getting over stasis those were things that got him eating also watercress he loved. They are quite strong smelling and perhaps that tempted him. Good luck. Pam

Thanks again for all your comments and advice, it really is comforting to know that there are people I can talk to to get help

He won't eat much at all, I have tried flat leaf parsley, corriander, watercress, dandelion leaves, spring green, carrots and tops, broccoli, brussel sprouts and dill, I have also tried wetting down some SS pellets, he won't eat hay or grass, if he does eat, it is just a nibble.

I didn't realise it could take so long to get over so maybe I am just worrying too much.

Will take him back to vets on Monday if there is no improvement over the weekend

Thanks again everyone

snowy said:
Thanks again for all your comments and advice, it really is comforting to know that there are people I can talk to to get help

He won't eat much at all, I have tried flat leaf parsley, corriander, watercress, dandelion leaves, spring green, carrots and tops, broccoli, brussel sprouts and dill, I have also tried wetting down some SS pellets, he won't eat hay or grass, if he does eat, it is just a nibble.

I didn't realise it could take so long to get over so maybe I am just worrying too much.

Will take him back to vets on Monday if there is no improvement over the weekend

Thanks again everyone

Have you felt along his jaw line Theo? If it is very lumpy that can indicate overgrown tooth roots which can be painful. Major Tom and Unky A had them and often needed analgesia. The lumps are also hot-spots for infection.

David Crossley is a Veterianary Dental expert and he says that if a Bun has major dental work done it can take at least 3 weeks for all the jaw nerves and muscles to settle down.

I'll see if I can find the article and will post the link if I do

Janex

If you're worried about not enough poop etc you could try a little califig, it's a natural laxative for humans that I gave my bun when he was in a similar sit, the vet laughed at me until it worked. It's made from figs so the sugar might help bun keep a bit if weight on. My bun was an ang (medium bun) and I gave him 0.5 ml twice a day.

Thanks again, I'll try anything.....

I gave him 1ml of prepulsid yesterday and 5 x drops of metacam.

Might well try the califig, I never thought of that ...thanks

Will feel the jaw line tonight Jane and see if I can feel anything.

Will keep you all updated and thanks so much for all your help

Back