• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Australia and pet rabbits

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
I already knew that if you emigrate you cannot take rabbits into Australia, but I've just been reading a bit more about it and its all pretty odd.

In certain parts of Australia its illegal to even keep a pet rabbit- in Queensland they have recently upped the fine to 30,000 dollars for keeping one (£12,000) :shock:

On one hand you could say this was good in terms of welfare as it means they will hopefully not end up with the numbers in rescue as we have but apparently people still keep them illegally and dont take to the vet if they are ill as they dont want to risk the fine :(

And in areas where you can keep them as pets the myxi vaccination is not licenced because the goverment fear an escaped pet rabbit could lead to the wild population getting natural immunity :?

I realise Australia have a huge problem with wild rabbits, but isnt it odd they have such a different attitude to us in terms of keeping them as pets?

More about it here:
http://members.iinet.com.au/~rabbit/hrsaus.htm

My two rabbits ae now mine thanks to these laws - their old family emigrated to Aus. So now i am the proud mummy! Thank you australia!

Does anyone know what the laws for keeping pets are in this country? I read somewhere that in the USA there are more tigers kept as pets than there are in the wild in Asia. :shock: Are you allowed to keep a tiger here or do only zoos and circuses have a special license?
How about a crocodile? My son wants to adopt a baby crocodile. Well, he did, until I explained to him how big they can get. :lol:

Sooz22 said:
I know in some areas or zip codes of the USA you cannot keep rabbits. :?

:lol: :lol: Not true. The only laws regarding pets, (which vary per town or city) are ordinances that limit the amount of pets one can have, usually no more than 10 if the property is less than 1 acre. In apartments, or flats such as in NYC the limit was 6 pets, last time I lived there. And this is rarely enforced unless it causes a true problem to the neighbors or community. In residential zones, farm animals are not allowed, but that does not include pet rabbits. Like UK rabbits are the 3rd most popular pet in US.

Bavarian Bunny said:
Does anyone know what the laws for keeping pets are in this country? I read somewhere that in the USA there are more tigers kept as pets than there are in the wild in Asia. :shock: Are you allowed to keep a tiger here or do only zoos and circuses have a special license?
How about a crocodile? My son wants to adopt a baby crocodile. Well, he did, until I explained to him how big they can get. :lol:

You used to be allowed to keep big cats in this country till they pssed a law against it in the 70's (I think) and a lsome people released them into the wild and they think that's where the strange sightings of large cats in the wild come from :shock:

Spacegirl said:
Bavarian Bunny said:

You used to be allowed to keep big cats in this country till they pssed a law against it in the 70's (I think) and a lsome people released them into the wild and they think that's where the strange sightings of large cats in the wild come from :shock:

exactly what i was going to say!

What she said :p

Yes, I heard about big black cats and things like that. That's why I was wondering, whether they may have escaped from a circus or from private owners.

How about moose?? :D

rabbits in australia

I remember that there used to be a pet shop near Ilford in essex which used to sell lions :shock: tigers and small bears as well as some more exotic types of animals like kinkajous (sp)
I was taken to see the lions once :shock: they were kept in tiny cages and put on display on the pavement :shock: :evil: god knows how scared they must have been :evil:
I often wonder if some of those are now running wild on the moors :?: :(

As an Australian who will have to leave thier bunny behind it is true. In QUeensland it is illegal to keep rabbits (and ferrets) as pets. In some other states it is ok. There is a huge rabbit/hare plague in Australia. Myxamotosis is now useless against the hares/rabbits and they eat the crops. The estimated population is about 100 million plus. Also with the never ending drought it is one animal against another and the rabbits eat the food that the native animals eat and so they die etc etc The quarantine laws are the strictest in the world as there are heaps of diseases that have thanksfully not arrived. Why the rules are ok for one state and not another is a mystery. I guess it has to do with the size of the states. Its anyones guess.

Bavarian Bunny said:

It's perfectly legal to keep these sorts of animals in the UK, so long as you obtain a DWA license from the local council. (DWA = Dangerous Wild Animal :wink: )

Basically, you can keep pretty much anything so long as you get a license for it! Check out the DEFRA list: http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countryside/gwd/animallist.pdf

The license varies in price from council to council, and the councils also seem to vary in their difficulty in obtaining one!

DWA licenses are usually granted once the accommodation has been inspected and has been deemed as sufficiently secure so's not to pose a risk to the public.

So now you know! :wink: You can get that crocodile after all! :wink:

Back