• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Growing your own grass in pots...

Rabbers

Mama Doe
Hi!

I've ordered the grass seed for buns from the hayexperts. I was wondering whether anyone else grows their own and how do you give it to your rabbits?

I was going to grow a small pot, so do I just give them the pot to chew from once its ready?

Hi
I grow my own and just give it to bunnies in the pot.Trouble is it takes 2-3 weeks to grow it and two to three minutes for them eat it :lol: :lol: :lol:

that might be a better idea than spending 3 hours up the horse field hand picking grass for the guineas and the rabbit!!! and theres so little goodness in the grass outside this time of year. i grow herbs purely for the pets, might as well grow grass too!

great, thanks everyone 8)

I'll get a pot going and then start another one a week later, etc so there will be a more frequent supply of grass as a treat.

Our garden has no grass at the mo - it was killed by the rowan tree leaves (they're acid) and also cos our soil is really bad. Its our first winter in the house though, so I didn't really plan or know about it! But i have an action plan - really turn over the grass, new compost and sand etc and then lay turf and then feed regularly and then rake in the autumn every day so the leaves have less of an effect!

On another note, the rabbits really loved the rowan leaves and berries - but it made their wee go red! lol! It sent me in a panic the first time i saw it until i worked out the link :oops: :lol:

Right now I'm growing wheat grass in my room just under a flourescent light fixture. I started the seeds only 5 days ago and I already have a nice amount of grass...In fact I'm about to plant the rest of my seed tonight...I'm also growing some lettuce in my room...not so sure how well it will grow in a pot, but it will go nicely with my african violet and strawberry begonia... ;) 8)

Back