• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Problem teeth

clairemtaylor

Young Bun
Dear All,

I need some advice/experiences please!! I am taking on a bunny called Mulberry who is currently with Bunnyrun, he has been taken in at the vets today as his teeth are in a mess. His front teeth are growing at a funny angle and are very wobbly so may fall out, and he has spurs on his back teeth, not severe but enough to cause a bit of discomfort, so they are going to give him a dental today. I understand if he will need regular vet checks and may need regular dentals, does anyone have a rabbit with similar problems?

Thanks! :D

One of my rabbits has had teeth problems for four and a half years. He has his front teeth burred once a month which he doesn't have to be put out for and doesn't seem to bother him much, he has also had about three dentals on his back teeth during this time, but thankfully hasn't had to have one for over a year and a half. He won't eat hay anymore even chopped hay or readigrass, but can eat chopped veg and science selective pellets fine. His teeth do look very wonky and a couple have fallen out over time, but despite his bad teeth he seems fine and happy.

When I took willow I knew he had some kind of dental problems. His problem is with a back molar that grows and 45 degrees rather than directly upwards. This means that both top and bottom don't grind down. He's a very happy bunny now his health as recovered as he was neglected before we got him. But he does have to have dentals every month. Our vet manages to bur them whilst he's conscious but I do worry every time. Today we've had to book him again as he's not eaten since yesterday afternoon although he is interested in food and it's only three weeks since his last dental. Our vet usually does it during a normal appointment and we pay the cost of a visit.

Even if I had known it would be ongoing treatment I would have still taken him. Apart from these visits he's a happy, healthy bunny who deserves a loving home. He just needs a bit more care and attention than the others as you need to look out for the signs that he's due for a check up.

My lop Fiver has molar spurs but they are more likely diet related than genetic as he will not eat hay for love or money!

He developed them at 18 months old and has only had one dental so far...we are hoping he wont need them more often than every 3 months maybe less if I can find a hay he likes.

A rabbit at my vets only has hers done every 9 months.

Darcy's teeth had been fine for two years until this year I noticed him not eating his hay and his poops being a bit funny. I took him to the vet and it turned out he had little spurs on his far back teeth which had only recently developed so no nasty painful damage thank god. His front teeth are perfect. I think it was dietry rather than genetic as it only just happened and I was feeding him too much pellets which I've cut down on now. Darcy had dental surgery under a general anesthetic (however you spell it) which worried me silly but hes fine now. I've got him on Oxbow Oat Hay which is great for the teeth and he loves it. He was on Timothy Rich Hay but I use whats left of that in his litter box now as hes not so keen on it anymore. Hopefully he won't need teeth surgery too often but even if he does I'll love and keep him forever. :D :love:

Teeth...

Thank you all so much for your posts! I feel the same in that whatever problems Mulberry has, he deserves a loving home, and I have a little girl bunny who needs a friend!!

It's just a case of keeping a close eye for any signs of problems then and treating them as and when really?

Thanks again! :D

Yeah but vets can guess roughly how long between dentals will be required.

Signs are weight loss, loss of appetite, drooling, dropping food from the mouth, not drinking, hunched appearence and with Fiver he had odd poop.

Back