• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Calling Owners Of Bloat/Impaction-Prone Buns!

sonnet

Alpha Buck
Well another stressful 48hrs with Merlin having yet another one of his intermittent tum bouts (this time the vet says it's more like impaction (full tum but not moving), other times it's been bloat (full of wind). Back down the vets later today - good news is he's pooing now :thumb:

I'm just fed up with the vet telling me it's 'one of those things that they get as they have complicated digestive systems' - so why have I never had any of my other buns encounter it then! :censored:

So I thought that any other owners of Bloat/Impaction prone buns would be more help! Would you be able to answer the following for me please (all opinions/experiences appreciated):

1-What in your opinion is the best Rabbit Mix for buns prone to the above conditions?

2-Which hay is in your opinion the best for them for good nutrition of the tum (& where do you purchase it from)?

3-Do you have any other dietary/lifestyle advice for prone buns that you feel has helped yours?

Many thanks for this, sorry for all of the questions but I thought that there are other owners in my position that may appreciate other's opinions on this issue too. Thank you :thumb:

My buns arent highly prone to this but i have had several bouts with all of the at some point.. i used to think it was down to their long fur causing blockages, however recently i havent noticed any stringy poos and have changed their diet to encourage them to eat loads more hay. They have one handful (between 3 of them) in a treatball first thing. They have constant access to hay and water. I got the hay from a local farm store where they sell bales and they love it! I also give them dried grass a few times a week. They then have a selection of veggies in the evening such as carrot, celery, brocoli, parsley, coriander, rocket, kale, spring greens ( i usually give the 3 different things)

I think alot of people on here would advise a pellet rather than a mix. Mine are on Allen and Page natural pellets which is one of the higher fibre pellets.
Hope that helps and your bunny doesnt get unwell again its such a worry

Miggy gets bloated really easily. I nearly lost him after his neuter because he got all impacted as well.

I feed him small amounts of pellets (just switched to SS which he LOVES), TONS and TONS of hay, I always alternate so he gets variety. At the moment he's on Timothy and Rye hay, with meadow hay and also grass. He also gets dandilion leaves and herbs. The one thing he rarely gets is veggies. He does get the odd bit here and there but his poor tummy can't handle them, I found out that they were the thing that causes his bloat. He can just about handle a little cabbage, but give him something like Broccoli and he'll probably end up back in the vets :?

Hi there. Good thread!

My bunnies are prone to bloat but I supsect related to problems with teeth and hence not eating enough (hay).

I have pretty much cut out veggies (apart fom some herbs) as I invariably find that Sumi gets gass reallyeasil form them.

I think lots of exercise is probably an extra consideration for these bunnies too.

Interested in other replies to this too.

My complication is that my bunnies only get a small amount of pellets (Oxbow) and otherwise lots of hay but when their teeth hurt they don't eat their hay and then run out of pellets. To be honest, I was wondering about increasing their pellets? This is just in the case of my dental bunnies though, otherwise in a rabbit prone to gas/bloat I would be saying hay hay hay all the way!

Fiona x

Aaah the all too familiar problem..Bif and Oscar got it terrible last year..we had a load of problems and workmen setting the porch for my daughters electric wheelchair to rights..we lost my daughters cat and then my dad so oscar became ill then on and off and dental probs too increased..we got him Bif from a re scue and they were fine but got ill like i said with all the hassle going on..then one day a whole load of folks coming in to try and sort out my daughters dla appeal..it gave both buns terrible upset tums and by tea time oscar was acting very odd..i rushed him to the vets in the morning the emrgecny one as i discovered he wasnt eating and pooing..but bif was still trying to eat and pooing bits..we lost oscar the early hours 48hrs later..bif survived.
But shes had this since then..the first vets told me it was like they told you..then they told me there was a mass and it was most likely cancer..but the bun vet left and the others took over..they did one xray from one angle..never checked her teeth under the GA took no bloods or poo samples.then said theyd have to ultrasound her whilst awake for an hour and 2 nurses would hold her down :shock: and she woldnt be sedated!
i tried everything..avipro in the water..syringeing of bio lapis for a week solid..sprinkling bio lpais ont he food..cutting out greens fruit etc..increasing greens hoping shed poo normally..nope it was hel..i reduced the maount of pellets and increased thehay but she got worse..they then said she needed a dental..she picked up byut after a week her mouth was a problem again..all this time shed back and forth for metaclompromide jabs etc..
Then they said she was in pain and when she stopped eating wanting to live it was time to let her go..
i demanded a second opinion with an e xotic vet and he said a whole batch of tests shouldve been done and if the ultrasound was needed then it would be done under sedation. Bifs cecum was always full so was her tummy but no sign of blockage or impaction just horrendous GI stasis.
i then saw the vets wife..a vet nearer me..she was fantastic..turned out Bifs lump had gone down..and she sent her for a dental as the last vets had either burred wrong side or not doneit! And the other side was full of small sharp ones too. she took a poo sample there n then one of normal poos one of a squishy one which she did with friht on the table!
Under the Ga she had her dental..2 levels xrays..and bloodworks..
she had dental probs alright but no soft tissue damage thankfully just a bit asore and red..her tummy is fine.the cecum had moved a little and there were normal poos lined up in her tummy tocome out.
i did as i was advised..changed her diet as son as i got the pellets in which was a week ago..but in the meantime i offerred pellets at a small amount twice a day..and i inntroduced greens very slowly again..and for 2 days bif was given this paste..carrot flavoured..its caled PROTEXIN FIBREPLEX not cheap but it did the trick..now shes the master of heaps of proper poo!! still the squishy ones but not as much
im feeding a mix right now of pellets as i want to change right across as i swear the allen and page ones have helped her n bertie his poos are bigger again too.
The vet said Bif was suffering SEVERE TRAUMATISATION egun by losing her love of her life..then our house getting floded and the ensuing and ongoing misery of it..and my mum who needs counselling after we lost my dad last year..ive had help..she wont go and its stressing us all out so i baned her for a week tillb if had improved and if she starts now i tell her to go home..im not losing bif like i did my oscar..and she rushes home..mean but necessary.

so in answer to your questions..

1:definatley allen and page natural rabbit with a sprinkle of science selective..( the one from bunny basics didnt do the trick and she only eats it after a dental!)

2:Definately timothy ay second cut..its softer and is a food supplement so if they dont eat much pelelts its a good feed substitue..my vet advised i keep on with it as they like it. But bif also likes to nibble barley straw from time to time..and of course dried herbs.etc

3; yes de stress yourself and your household..bar folks who are bringing in lots of negativity..if an outside bun make sure its not harrassment from next dors pets or kids etc..keep to a routine as much as you can and keep things as normal as you can..i only hoover once a week now as shes terrified of the hoover..i sweep with a rubber broom daly..gets the fur and hay!
And get to see a vet who undertsnads buns!
way to tell..walk into vets..hello do you sell protexin bio lpais..protexin fibreplex excel forage? nope..good day! the bun vets ive seen have this as the norm in their surgeries for buns and piggies..thats a good tip..ring a vets surgery and ask if they keep it..thats a tip i d pas son to everyone!

shes getting better is bif..lots of squishy poo probs but not as bad and her tmmy is starting to settle a bit fingers crossed..no swelling whatsoever..the vet said it was inflammation of her guts..sometimes turns to an ulcer can cause death i guess in some buns.
Odd thing is her bloodwork revealed her liver had mildly elevated liver fats..probably from drawing so much blood..they shavedher neck and drew it from 3 diferent places in it! And she showed 10% positive for EC!!

vets need a lesson from vets likeher!

BTW i have a localish farm that ordered in the allen and page for me and the delivery lady charged me a quid for delivery! But someone onhere found somehwere reasonable that sells it online and delivers..

http://www.bunnybasics.net/bunny-ba....html?osCsid=32ed2e3f035ccb5d1f7a77210a182a2f

http://www.bunnybasics.net/supreme®....html?osCsid=32ed2e3f035ccb5d1f7a77210a182a2f

http://www.gjwtitmussshop.co.uk/acatalog/RABBIT_PELLETS.html

http://www.petvetcare.co.uk/acatalog/Small_Animals_Pets.html

http://www.vetscriptions.co.uk/mm5/merchant.mvc?

Whilst talking about gastro problems in bunnies, Dana Krempel has a good article called Gastro-Intestinal Stasis, The Silent Killer on the web. Still can't do links, so you will need to search under google. She is a fantastic expert on bunnies and this was a good article on Stasis worth keeping.

Both of mine have suffered GI Stasis in the past but Smokey is more prone to it.

My lot are now on Super Excel pellets. They get just a small handful between them twce a day. Vegetable wise, they get two good handfuls a day. I give them a a little bit at night and lots in the morning.

The eat pretty much any hay! However, I usually buy good quality, dust extracted meadow hay from local garden centres, it is better then the 'mass brands'. I do give give them a selection of dried herbs and flowers in their hay, I get them from Zooplus.

I always give mine a probiotic in their water, it helps. Also, I think bunnies (well, all pets) like routine. I always feed them at the same time each day and I usually do my rabbit chores in the same order. This seems to help them feel secure. My lot also get lots of exercise. They have a fixed run on the play house and another one that attaches to make a huge run when I'm at home. I think the exercise helps keep everything moving properly.

My other tip is to always have some recovery formula and infacol at home. The minute my lot show signs of bloat, I syringe feed them some recovery formula and infacol, put a heat pad in with them and call a vet.

Thanks for starting this thread. :) My Dusty is had stasis this week, for the 3rd time in a year. At the moment I'm feeding a very small amount of Bunnybasics Hi-fibre pellets, and stacks of hay, with a small amount of veggies in the morning. I think I'm going to either feed the veggies every other day or halve the amount to an even smaller one.

Interesting to hear that BB food may not be the best way to go? My buns used to have SS, but have been on BB pellets for a few months now with no problems till this week.

Carrot and parsnip are quite high in sugar and should be avoided altogether (as well as all fruit) if a bun is susceptible to bloat/gas.

FriskyClover said:
The minute my lot show signs of bloat, I syringe feed them some recovery formula and infacol, put a heat pad in with them and call a vet.[/
quote]
What are the signs of bloat, picking her up and feeling her stomach?

I'm so confused.... :? :cry: I'm not convinced that Dusty gets bloat, but she does get stasis. She often has carrot!!!

Can anyone suggest some good veggies for bunnies who are prone to these sorts of problems? I'd be very grateful. :)

You can usually feel bloat, I think it feels like a balloon under their skin.

However, I think a more reliable guide is their behaviour, if a rabbit is hunched up looking sorry for themself and not eating, there is something up. I also try to give them a little of their favourite food, I know that if Smokey turns down a handful or grass or Inky wont touch parsley, they are definitely heading for GI Stasis.

When my buns are gassy, their whole abdomen is a only little bit harder and when you rub it gently and listen carefully you can feel and sometimes hear a light popping/rippling sound. I also find that if they are gassy, when you give their Infacol and some warm water(boiled cooled) you can hear more gurgling as the gas dispels.

I find bloat almost exactly the same in the way that the bunnies present BUT the top of the tummy (just at the rib cage) is very hard and almost feels like it is sticking out. Its very apparent and has scared me in the two times I have experienced it in my lot. The bunny has always looked much more unwell (eyes closed and panting).

Scary stuff

Fiona x

Great to see so many replies on this issue - thank you everyone :thumb:
So nice to know that my bun is not alone in having tum probs - he's been back today & been given the all clear - everything's totally back to normal - glad to say that he's definatley his old self today :D

I read that kale is a good veg to use (rather than cabbage etc, which my buns eat often), but I'm sure someone on here had a bunny with bloat as a result of eating kale. :? :shock:

I feel so confused as to why Dusty has had stasis again. Am starting to suspect the veggies, and think I will cut them right down. At least the grass is starting to grow a bit now.

Fionabun said:
When my buns are gassy, their whole abdomen is a only little bit harder and when you rub it gently and listen carefully you can feel and sometimes hear a light popping/rippling sound. I also find that if they are gassy, when you give their Infacol and some warm water(boiled cooled) you can hear more gurgling as the gas dispels.

I find bloat almost exactly the same in the way that the bunnies present BUT the top of the tummy (just at the rib cage) is very hard and almost feels like it is sticking out. Its very apparent and has scared me in the two times I have experienced it in my lot. The bunny has always looked much more unwell (eyes closed and panting).

Scary stuff

Fiona x

Thank you for that, must become familiar with what is normal as opposed to slightly harder feeling in the abdomen. And something I never heard of, feeling under the ribs, thanks, will add to checklist for bi weekly exams.
My bun China who died recently was eating heartily only a few hours before his "bloat and impaction" so I no longer use eating well (or cold ears as in my bun who died before him, Blanco) as reliable warnings for problems. It IS so confusing.

Back