• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Reassurance needed Please, or do I prepare for worst?

joanner55

Warren Scout
Hi, I got Biggles from the rspca on saturday, he hadn't been neutered so I got a voucher. I got him booked in for yesterday as he was very frisky with my doe (she's already spayed) and was driving her mad!
So I went to pick him up yesterday the nurse said he was fine and had been moving around. I got him home and he didn't want to come out his carrier which i thought would be understandable, anyway after about 10 mins of me giving him nose rubs I noticed a bit of blood on his back paw then moved his tummy a little to look and there was more underneath. I shouted rob (my o/h) to have a look.
I gently picked him up and placed him on the worktop and gently lifted his front so i could check underneath. I was horrified! His wound was wide open and blood was everywhere! Rob quickly rang the vets while i was stroking Biggles and ringing my mum to drop kids off on way to vets. It wasn't our local vets as they didn't take part in the rspca voucher scheme so had to drive about30/40 mins away! When we got there they took him through the back said it had stopped bleeding but they were keeping him in overnight as he was very swollen and had a blood clot, they were leaving him to rest as the didn't want the clot to move but might have to operate again if it starts bleeding again. Apparently he is ok this morning but they are keeping him in another 24 hours as he has a collar on so he doesn't lick his wound and he's finding hard to eat and drink with it on.
I'm in bits at the moment wondering whether he's going to be ok or not, I worried about him allday yesterday when i took him for the neuter and have felt sick ever since i saw him last night.
Has this happened to anyone else? The vet said it was rare but is a side affect from surgery. Will he be ok? :cry:

It is rare for there to be comlications with what is now routine surgery but it does happen. Ive not had any experience with clots Im afraid, only infections but at least you noticed it quickly and got him back to the vets. Ive got a bun in for castration at the moment.

Sending lots of vibes to you, hope he is better soon. X

Hi, I'm sure he'll be just fine.. My boy Fudge was neauted and he had trouble with bleeding and swelling.. Fudge had to go back to the vets 1 week after his operation the vet wasn't happy with him at all. They operated on him again to remove the swelling.. I was so upset and thought i could maybe lose him :( .. I'd lost my beautiful mini lop Molly she passed away 1 week after I had her spayed :cry: ......
Fudge is just fine now :D It's 3 or 4 weeks now since his second op and hes very healthy and I've bonded him with a lovely little bun called Furby...
Lets us know how you get on I'm sure he'll be okay..

Hope he's ok, poor little man :(

A collar isn't great for rabbits as it'll stop them eating properly, but if he opened his wound and that's why it bled, I don't know what the alternative is.

Sending vibes for him xx

when my bunny was sprayed, the vet use a chemical to spray the wound, so the bunny won't lick it as the smell is meant to be bad.

Another way is to use bandage, but the wound needs to breathe, so you use bandage and keep changing it everytime your bunny try to pull on it.

I just thought...and this is gross but....with the collar he cant eat his cecotrophs (soft poops) and he will get them stuck to the collar trying. You will need to pick them up and put them in a bowl where he can reach them when he gets home.

Back