• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bunny keeps licking things

kate83

New Kit
Hiya,

I've got a couple of bunnies who are inside at the moment while I build them a new outdoor house.
I've got a cotton covered beanbag on the floor and my male (neutered) bunny keeps going up to it and licking it for ages (sometimes for about half an hour!) and keeps leaving little wet patches where he's been licking.
I've also seen him licking some wood I have for them to chew on and the mesh at the front of their house
Any ideas why?? It's only just started in the last few days

Whats their diet like? It could be a vitamin or mineral deficiency. It could also be grooming or possibly a dental issue? Just the first things that came to mind :D

Diet is lots of hay and a few veg in the morning and more hay and a cup of wagg bunny brunch for their tea.
They've started eating a lot more hay lately as my female bunny has a delicate tummy and this seemed to stop the squishy poos that she was having a lot of (and they were getting a bit fat - back down to normal weight now) and they go out on the grass when the weathers ok

Checked his teeth and they look normal - seems happy in himself

Diet sounds fine, does he drool or anything? it could be his molars rather than his incisors which needs a vet to look at them.

You could try offering a mineral lick to see if that diverts his attention from the wood work?

Hiya,

One of my housbuns, Stanley, has an obsession with my faux suede beanbag! He doesn't lick anything else, just the beanbag!

His diet and teeth are fine. I got him a mineral lick which is ignored :roll:

I think he must just likes the taste or texture? :?

Got a pic of him relaxing afterwards!!!

P2170242.jpg
[/img]

AAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! what a cute pic :D

Thumper is a 'licker' :lol: she licks my hands, neck (when holding her) clothes when sat on the floor, the carpet when she is flopped out being stroked :lol: :lol:

I had a bun called Rowan who loved to lick my Dad when he got in from work....he was all sweaty and Rowan liked the salt :shock:

That is just the cutest picture!

Deej likes to lick my cushion cover made from towelling, he loves to lick his play tent and my OH jeans - but only if they've been worn, not clean ones!

bif loves to lick the patio doors..needless to say i only clean them with the steam cleaner!
Bertie licks the floor where he lays be it bare tiles or carpet..if bifs washing him he has to wash something back..they both wash their cuddly toys..
my old bun woozle used to "groom" the settee cushions and grate the crums out withhis teeth..i did hoover but it was never as thorough as my littl man :shock:
bertie..woozle..oscar..kibbles all liked to lick your hair on your scalp or your eyebrows..bertie still does..bifs never been one for that but shes terrified of people.

When jazz come in for cuddles, he jumps on my shoulder and on to the top of the sofa and lick that :? he ignors mineral licks :wink:

My bunny Goofball and the last bunny Little Happy, they both like to lick the exterior bottom of the toilet (where the base is). I couldn't stop Goofball fast enough.

by bun George loves to lick my husbands face. He especially loves his nose. It is the cutest thing! He licks our hands a lot too. I always thought it was a grooming thing.

Back