• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

No poo after neutering

HS

Wise Old Thumper
Squidgy was neutered on Tuesday. He had metorclopramide after the operation. He was eating and pooing as soon as he arrived home.
However, since about 1am Wednesday I have only see him do about 6 tiny hard poos and he was eating his caecotrophs last night.
I took him back to the vet for another dose of metoclopramide yesterday.
He's been eating by himself no problem, but only greens, grass and carrot/ carrot top - no hay or pellets.
He's fine in himself, cleaning and hopping around and his tummy feels like it usually does.
Do I need to be concerned?

HS said:
Squidgy was neutered on Tuesday. He had metorclopramide after the operation. He was eating and pooing as soon as he arrived home.
However, since about 1am Wednesday I have only see him do about 6 tiny hard poos and he was eating his caecotrophs last night.
I took him back to the vet for another dose of metoclopramide yesterday.
He's been eating by himself no problem, but only greens, grass and carrot/ carrot top - no hay or pellets.
He's fine in himself, cleaning and hopping around and his tummy feels like it usually does.
Do I need to be concerned?

Can you feel any currant poos in his guts? I would phone the Vet for advice. Metoclop' can be given every 8 hours if necessary. Or he may need some syringe feeding of Critical Care (to up his fibre intake) to move things along.
If you can find any dandelion leaves offfer him them too as they are a natural laxative.
Is he weeing OK and do his plums look alright?

Janex

He's weeing ok, his plums look fine :oops: . He's just done four tiny poos and eaten some more greens, and some dandelion leaf.
Can't feel any currant poos, but they have more to do with me, as I'm not sure where I'm looking for them!
I'll 'phone the vet at 8. I'm a little reluctant to take him, as he as sooo stressed out yesterday afterwards. Obviously I will if it's necessary.

HS said:
He's weeing ok, his plums look fine :oops: . He's just done four tiny poos and eaten some more greens, and some dandelion leaf.
Can't feel any currant poos, but they have more to do with me, as I'm not sure where I'm looking for them!
I'll 'phone the vet at 8. I'm a little reluctant to take him, as he as sooo stressed out yesterday afterwards. Obviously I will if it's necessary.

Hopefully things will get moving very soon.
Sending Poo vibes!!

Janex

Hope he's ok

Let's do a RU Poo Chant

Come on Squidgy, give us a poo, give us a poo, give us a poo

As Jane says, I'd phone the vets for advice and some critical care. Maybe a tummy rub too?

Hi

Marley stopped eating hay and pellets after his op, he would only eat a small amount of veg. He developed an infection in both his testicles a couple of days after the op and this affected his appetite. Are Squidgeys testicals swollen at all?

Hi there
They do look a little swollen, but not much. He's now done quite a few poos and eaten some pellets as well as some grass.
He's on a course of bayril anyway - he's had two injections over the past two days, and one oral lot today.
Bobby wasn't htis much trouble :roll:

He's not had any since yesterday. I'm not sure he needs it now as he's eating his pellets and grass now, and has been cleaning etc.

I would have thought he was ok, maybe his gut just needs a while to get going again, maybe some fibreplex or bio-lapis too?

I'm quite relieved now I've seen some poo! He had some recovery food this morning, and I'll see how he goes with his eating before I try it again. He's eating pretty much normally. I'm going to add some probiotic to his water I think.
These bunnies, eh? they do worry us.

Can I just say, Mig had had a terrible time after his neuter. He bled alot during the operation, one of his plums swelled up so much it looked like it hadn't been removed.
Anyways, I was told it was really important for him to eat afterwards - well he ATE for England, he munched and munched non stop for hours. I cannot express just how much he ate when I brought him home. But he never pooped at all, it went in but nothing came out. My poor boy ended up looking so constipated and uncomfortable.

The verdict was that he had a reaction with one drug which increased his appetite, another drug he was given slowed down his gut. I took him to the vet at 8am the following day (I had him home since 4pm). He was given a painkiller for the constipation, a gut starterupper thing and something else. It all worked because he wouldn't stop pooping :lol:

Point being - I feel for ya!!!

:shock: My gosh! I have to say I was a little worried that squidgy would be all bunged up, but he's had quite a few poos now, so it's all coming through the system.
Glas Mig is ok now.

Back