• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

very depressed english lop

bunnyrun

Mama Doe
Ive taken in an english lop recently who i think has been starved he is eating well but he seems so depressed he is in a huge dog crate in my lounge ive opened the door and he doesnt seem interested in being inquisitive and exploring my vet has given him a thorogh check and cannot find anything wrong he loves a cuddle but thats about it he,s so thin but eating i feel he is just wasting away
any advice on how i can cheer this poor bunny up

is he neuteured? can you try a bunny friend? or try a neutuered doe with him? i know you may well have tried that, but if not.... :) ummmm, lots of lovely treats! has he been wormed? if you feel he is eating and not putting weight on he could have worms? good luck, x Jess

eh? how can his ears mean he can't be paired? sorry that just sounds a bit odd to me, i have never had a french lop so that may be standard practise.... confusing tho. :? how about a bun in a cage next to him then? who told you not to pair him?

Re: depressed english lop

chloaster said:
bunnyrun said:
i was told not to pair him because of the size of his ears ????

:shock: Who told you that? :?

Someone who would not recognise the TRUTH if it slapped them around the face !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:censored: I AM SO ANGRY................ :evil: :evil:

Janex

english lop

His owner told me it was part of the agreement before she handed him to me she said under no uncertain terms was he to have a friend because of the size of his ears he is likely to get injured i find this upsetting that a bunny as lovely as scooby has got to spend the rest of his life on his own he,s the 1st english lop ive seen let alone owned
is it advisable once neautered it is possible to pair him up ?

:? :? His ears???? How could the size of the ears be a factor in the decision whether or not to bond him with another of his own kind? unless there was a worry that there's something "wrong" with the size of them and the previous owner didn't want the genes passed on???? Even so, neutering would solve that issue. What on earth is the story behind this? I hope you manage to get it resolved, as it must be horrible for you to feel that he is so sad and yet feel restricted about trying to remedy the situation. Poor Scooby.

Once he's signed over to you then the previous owner doesn't get a say. I agree introductions would need to be done carefully and there is probably a higher risk of injury than a normal sized bun.... but it's not like your showing him so even if he he gets a nip out of his ear in the future it will heal, it not that big a deal. I think the benefits of companionship outweigh
the possible issue.

Tam

bless him! I hope he finds a lovely girlfriend and perks up soon. And his ears are perfect I'm sure.

Lots of attention and treats :)

I have a french lop X with ears that trail on the floor. I do have to keep an eye on them, cos the ends get mucky, but she is happily paired with a large NZ white. Bonding was really easy, & they are 2 of my closest bonded buns :D

I have a pair of French Lops and watch their ears but Ive had no problems with them or any fighting. Hope he gets a lovely wifeybun soon :D

Caroline,
There is no reason why you can`t try & bond this bunny.
As Tamsin has said, once he`s signed over to you it`s up to you what you do with him.
And as Jane has said the `person` this rabbit came from basically talks out of their :censored: permanently & personally i wouldn`t listen to a word that comes out of their mouth! :evil:

Good luck,
Su.x

P.S. How is his weight gain going?

Scooby..

I have seen Scooby a couple of times at Bunnyrun's rescue, Tuesday being the most recent, this poor rabbit is so, so thin, and so obviously depressed, yes his ears are REALLY long and trail on the floor, and not knowing much about the breed I wouldn't know about bonding, but having read the other posts I'm sure he would benefit from being bonded, and I'm also sure Bunnyrun will do the very best for him. I can't tell you how upsetting it is to see this rabbit and know how badly treated he has been, I hope his previous owner never keeps rabbits of any kind again if this is what they do to them.

Oh poor boy :( :( :cry: :cry: ..... I think it would good to bond this sad boy aswell..
Oh I feel all depressed now :( How long has he been with you ?

what a poor bun :cry: I hope he's happier soon. Definatly get him a girlfriend! It's amazing how much happier buns are when they are paired.

oh poor thing. I agree - try introducing him to a mate - just do it slowly and watch him and his ears! :lol:
Buy him some rabbit treats too - he needs fattening up bless him!

For showing purposes the ears have to be perfect - as babies their ears are tied above their heads so they don't tread on them and puncture them with their own claws :? .

However as a pet bunny the condition of the ears aren't an issue and they are unlikely to get that badly damaged. It would be worth ensuring the potential mate has had their claws trimmed (the english's own claws should also be kept short) and supervised bonding to ensure no major fights occur (as with any normal bonding) but apart from that I see no reason to keep him on his own!

Caz

P.S. Any pics pretty please - I know I am not a "lop" person but there is something about those stupidly long ears that is so very cute!

english lop

there is a photo on my website of him but it doesnt show how thin he is, have taken note of all your advice and have spoken to my vet as soon as he is well enough he will be castrated then hopefully bonded.
thanx so much for all your advice i feel reassured now that he doesnt have to spend the rest of his life on his own now...
my website is www.eastbournerabbitrescue.co.uk

Back