• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spinal arthritis in buns

luvabun

Warren Veteran
Brody (black and white bun) has spinal arthiritis and I've now noticed she's getting small red worn "pads" on the back of her hind legs (sore hocks?). I presume this is caused by how she is positioning herself now due to the arthritis as she is hunching her back which places her back feet further forward so I can see that she would get worn pads right at the back. I've put sudacrem on them but can't remember if that's the right stuff for sore hocks :oops: Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Any ideas guys? The pads are very small as you can see from the pic but if my reasoning is correct, they may get bigger.

2007_0227aaa0024.jpg

Are you sure this has just happened recently Jill?, most buns have a little 'callous' type bald spot on their back feet, more noticable in some than others.

Both my buns have got this on the back of their feet - just like that, pale pink - not sore looking and doesn't seem to bother them :? I'm sure it's the carpet as I don't think Charlie had them before we adopted him :?

can't say that I've noticed it before but to be honest, I didn't even notice it now until this photo :oops: so there's a possibility they've been there a while :oops:
When I get a spare hour or two, I could trawl through the zillions of photos I've taken to see if there's evidence of pink pads before :oops:

That doesn't look too bad - Zeus had ones like that all the time (giant as you know) and my rexes also had them - if they have a run on carpet it can wear the hocks a bit too. I would only worry if it they had started to crack or bleed.

Caz

Hi,
Those don't look too bad but it can be hard to tell from a pic. You can pop some New Skin on them to give them extra protection if you are worried. You paint some on, wait for it to dry and then add another coat and let that dry. Done once a week it works a treat.

It is normal and nothing to be worried about.

If you want to apply anything then put some veterinus derma gel on it - wonderful stuff!

Does exactly what it says on the box!

thanks guys. I think I'll leave well alone at the mo and monitor. Could be bunny carpet burns as they have been let out in the house of late (if carpet is more abrasive that grass/soil :roll: )

Back