• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

poppy not eating

poppy180

Warren Scout
Hello everyone

just a query from a worried me! Poppy has not eaten this morning, and didnt really have much last night. she normally eats so quickly and rattles the hutch door when she sees me coming, associating me with food.

There are a few C poos in the hutch, i am presuming they are hers as its hard to tell as she shares with Fluff. i have tried to tempt her with broccilli as she loves it but not interested. Her eyes dont look alert, she looks a bit 'dopey' but when i go to pick her up she still jumps away and struggles.

I am aware buns need to eat every 24 hrs to keep the guts moving and i am concerend she isnt. :( I feed them a complete Excel SS mix.

i have put her in the carry box and in the house for me to keep an eye on her and i can also see how much she is eating then. Working from home today hopefully as i had a a fall the weekend and have v.v painful sprained ankle!!! my own fault, i was out on the town after a couple of wines!! :oops: :oops:

any help/advice be appreciated i was going to pick her up and try to rub her tummy as i think i have seen on here it works but she HATES being held!!! :roll: :roll: :(

Can you get her to the vets to get her checked. She may need a gut starter and metacam. There will be a reason for her not eating, so she needs vets asap. Sending vibes. XXXXX

Don't mean to worry you, but you need to take Poppy to the vet asap. I've had my Dusty overnight at the emergency vet for the same reason. It really can't wait. Good luck!!! :)

I would go to the vets as soon as you can. Bunnies off their food can go downhill relatively quickly.

It might be useful to offer her 2mls of Infacol and a gentle belly rub. My bunnies seem to like fluids via the syringe (after a bit of getting used to it). I use boiled cooled water and add a little pineapple juice for sweetness. The fluids seem to help pop any gas and settle/soothe the tummy. Extra warmth can be useful too.

I would ask the vet for pain relief and a gut starter drug as well as her checkup. I tend to always ask for sub-cut fluids now as I see a difference in my bunnies when they have had them.

Fiona x

thank you all for your advice.

i went to the vets with her about 11am and they were so helpful, checked her all over and gave her an injection gut stimulant and food mashed up in a syrings. They offered to keep her in and feed her syringe x 4 a day but i wanted to keep her with me and said i would do it. So the vet showed me how to do it and said if shes no better tomorrow bring her in.

I am so glad i went, and that i changed vets after everything with Bugsy.

The vet said she has a couple of teeth on the one side that are sharper and longer than they need to be, just to keep an eye on at the moment, and that wont be whats causing the not eating.

while i was there i saw a card "free rabbit to good home, Mysi and VHD and spayed". So i asked about it, and its a nurse at the vets who rescues buns and rehomes the better ones. Female, 4 years old and her boyfriend had to be PTS because of severe teeth probs.

Just need to have a word with the o/h i know i would have to put her separate from poppy and fluff but i am concerned it would be a lot to take on at her age? or is it not??

will keep you updated on Poppy, finding it hard to syringe feed and hold her as she struggles a lot! But i managed with perseverance!! (sp!)

I have put on some pics of her - sorry not sure how to make them smaller

poppy at christmas
23122006037.jpg

100_0923.jpg

Back