• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Reactions to Vaccinations-UPDATED

Ivor/Anna

Warren Scout
I've only got two rabbits and both of them have had horrible reactions to their first vaccinations. Ivor developed a swelling at the injection site and was limping for a few days after the vaccination.
Anna Sophia had her first vacc last week, since then she hasn't been very interested in food, she has been producing some normal poos but also those long, black, sticky poos!! She is also acting differently, she seems really stressed out and is getting really worked up about stupid things like the washing machine being on which she has been fine with for two months!
Just now noticed that the skin on her neck is a bit red, and the reason i can see the skin is cos she has pulled out some hair-dont have a clue how she could reach it though.

I'm really annoyed that bad things happen to both of my rabbits, does it mean that they shouldnt be vaccinated again?

I'm taking Anna Sophia to the vets tomorrow, even though i think it will stress her out even more. The vet wouldn't talk to me on the phone and said i had to take her in. Whatis the best thing to do?

Has anyone else had bad reactions to vaccinations?

The strange poos are concerning me as well, she is leaving them regularly maybe 5 a day. Is this normal,i need some help?

I gather the swelling/limp is common after VHD vaccinations. Muppet didnt really react at all to the myxxi jab but was very subdued and picked at his food for a good 36 hours after the VHD one.

Fudge wasn't so good after his VHd vac.. He wouldn't eat and was wobbly on his feet.. He is an outdoor bun so I brought him and his partner in for the night. Thankfully he was fine the next morning.

ohh crikey, need to take our two to the vets (hoping this week) for myxi and VHD, sounding a bit stressful now. :(

Is there anything we can do to help them at all?

Hi, it is quite common for rabbits to become a bit off-colour from injections because of the trauma of going to the vets. Both my rabbits were quite ill from the VHD injection but got back to normal after 3 days. Patch was very withdrawn and lethargic and not interested in his food.

I am not sure about the lumps though since neither of mine have experienced this.

Leigh said:
ohh crikey, need to take our two to the vets (hoping this week) for myxi and VHD, sounding a bit stressful now. :(

Is there anything we can do to help them at all?

Leigh,

Dont forget to leave time in between the myxi and vhd jabs :wink:
I had to wait 10 days.

Tracey x

My vets (rabbit savvy) have commented that they never see the supposed VHD limp and think it may be to do with the technique used to give the injection.

A scabby area post-vac at the injection site is a common, listed side-effect. It shows the rabbit has good immunity. It is common for them to feel a bit off colour after a vacc too - like humans can.

My vets have always been happy to discuss my concerns over the phone and only suggest bringing the bunny in if they think there is an immediate need - bit surprised your vet just didn't reassure you about the scabby bit over the phone. Obviously the other symptoms are a bit more worring which is may be why she requested to see Anna.

Do the long black poos look like a bunch of grapes and stink to high heaven? They sound like caecals, which are supposed to be eaten again.

Usually a bunny doesn't eat them if they are on a very protein rich diet (too many pellets) but also if their stomach flora has become upset too. I think you are strict on the pellets from what I can remember, you haven't changed the rabbit's food recently at all or changed hay to a more rich one e.g. alfalfa? Those symptoms do probably warrent a vet visit.

Caz

Keep an eye on your buns, just in case. My Albie was very ill after her VHD and spent a night in hospital where they had to hand feed her and try to bring her temperature down. She had a huge weal on her back that took weeks to heal. It's taken nearly a month for her fur to start growing back but she is fine now. Must admit am a bit worried about what happens next time she's due for her vax. Midnight, however, was fine.

I took Anna in to see her vet and she was given baytril as there was concern over some bacterial infection and also metoclopromide which is to boost her appetite. The followinbg day she seemed a lot better, having read more information on the forum i think it was probably stress related. Anna was much calmer on her second visit to the vet luckily. She is alot more interested in her food now and is doing well.
She still producing the odd 'bunch of grapes-poo' but not very often now, im hoping that with he rincreased hay intake now she will be fine in a few days.
As far as her temperament goes she is more settled now and much friendlier, she will actually approach me for a quick stroke now which is an amazing development.

I think i will be looking for a new vet, does anyone know any vet savvy in Plymouth?
My visit to the vet cost me £30, the cost of the two injections Anna had equalled around £6. The rest I assume was for the consultation which lasted about 5 minutes, the vet seemed to wan tto get rid of me as quickly as possible and wasnt particularly concerned with my queries or possibly didnt know what i was talking about?

Anna had her VHD vaccination last night and afterwards seemed a bit wobbly, i didnt worry too much as She reacted much worse to her Myxi and Ivor also reacted worse to his VHD vac.
At lunch time i went home to check on her and she hadnt eaten much of her hay but she was picking at the odd blade of hay and enjoyed a berry, she was still wobbly on her back legs and headbutted her cage trying to jump in. By the time I got home she was very hunched up in a corner and didnt respond to me when i went to her cage. When i got her out she had very little use or control of her back legs and collapsed. I rushed her to the vet who gave her an intramuscular steriodal injection and said to keep an eye on her and not to hesitate to bring her in if anything goes wrong. In all she hadnt eated properly for nearly 24hours and she has dropped a lot of weight, she seems to be having very soft poos (she has been on a hay diet)

The vet seemed to think it was very serious and said that Anna has an incredibly low tolerance to the vaccine, he also said that it would be best not to vaccinate her again.

Im really worried about her immune system! I was planning to show both Anna and Ivor in the pet classes of BRC shows (pet classes being judged on cleanliness, health and personailty rather than breed standard) but i dont want to risk Anna being exposed to any diseases or Ivor to carry any back to her.

Im sure Anna is a rarity but has anyone else had similar experiences with these reactions. Im stll very concerned about her as the vet said it could have proved fatal!

Oh Poor Anna!!

I'm really sorry to hear this. I'm a little worried now, because my girly bun is booked in for her myxi vac a week on Friday.

But anyway, I really hope Anna gets a lot better, very soon :D

Vaccination

I have just booked an appointment with my vets to vaccinate my two rabbits agaisnt myxi and VHD. When booking he didn't mention having them done separately. Should i be worried? Maybe when i'm there i'll just say i want the myxi injections first. x

Back