• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baytril - can it make rabbits lose their appetite?

kayw1

Young Bun
Hi, yet another health question from me. I am really panicking about Patch. I took him to the emergency vets yesterday because he was straining to wee. The vet thought it was cystisis but not 100% sure because when she squeezed him bladder, he didn't seem like he was uncomfortable. Anyhow, despite Patchy being poorly, he has been eating all his vegetables in the evening and hay.

Last night the vet injected him with Panacur and then some Baytril. She has given me a course of Baytril to give to Patch twice a day until Weds. I have noticed today that although he has appeared livelier this morning, he is not that interested in food. He has had the odd nibble at apple and hay but when i fed him this evening with vegetables, he was not interested. This is very unlike him. He normally grabs his food and runs off with it. This included his favourite dandeloion leaves. Is this to do with the antiobiotics.

Patch has been quite disinterested in food in the past when he had hius VHD injection and after he was neutered. Is it the antiobiotics or is he still traumatised by the vet?

I don't know if Baytril can have this affect - I haven't heard of it happening. But loss of appetite is not good and if it goes on more than a few hours you need to do something about it.
Can anyone else advise?

Hello,
My vets always give me Pro-biotics when the buns have Baytril, which helps their tummies. Because the antibiotics destroys the good bacteria in the gut as well (as the nasty bacteria it is intended for) the loss of good bacteria can make them go off their food.

Have you got any probiotics? Might be worth a try to syringe some into him? Keep an eye on him, it might be just a combination of drugs and stress as well as any underlying illness.

Hope he feels beter soon, keep trying him with his fave foods.

Yes, Mad Bunster is right antibiotics can upset the gut. If your rabbit stops eating or pooping then you need to go back to your vet. Rabbits need to keep their guts moving or they can go down hill very rapidly.

Your vet may give you probiotics to help stop the batril upsetting the gut but as your bun has stopping eating it may need more treatment such as a painkiller, fluids and gut mobility drugs.

You could ask your vet about teaching you how to do injections so you don't have to give the baytril orally.

Tamsin

Yes, whenever my buns have been on Baytril, they have lost their appetite. Just keep trying to tempt your bun with favourites and I usually put probiotic in their water, as they do seem to get a bit of an upset tum with Baytril.

Thanks for all your comments. I feel less panicked now that i know its the Baytril that is upsetting him rather than his illness. Today i saw him eat some hay like normal and i was overjoyed!! Can I get probiotics from a pet shop? He is seeing the vet tommorrow for a check up.

My other rabbit has started drinking-they haven't been drinking for a few days and i was worried he was going to get a water infection too. I was advised by the vet to put some apple juice in their water. I was so happy, my boyfriend thought i had won the lottery!

As for injecting my rabbit, i cannot face doing it-sorry. He will hate me more!!

Back