• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has anyone ever had a bun/bunnies with Pseudomonas?

Jaypot

Mama Doe
I'm asking as a freind of mine has just emailed me to say that a friend of hers has two buns just been diagnosed with Pseudomonas - I've written back to ask how the buns have been diagnosed with this and what symptoms they are displaying but other than that I have no idea :?
The vet isn't really rabbit and not up to date with treatment for buns.
Any ideas anyone?
Ta muchly :D

Jaypot said:
I'm asking as a freind of mine has just emailed me to say that a friend of hers has two buns just been diagnosed with Pseudomonas - I've written back to ask how the buns have been diagnosed with this and what symptoms they are displaying but other than that I have no idea :?
Any ideas anyone?

All I know is that it is that Pseudomonas is a bacteria that can cause acute diarrhoea. It is gram negative and grows in soil.
Pseudomonas can also show up in a swab from a Bun with 'Snuffles' and from cultures grown from skin scrapings. It is sensitive to Baytil

Janex

Jaypot said:
Any ideas anyone?

Pseudomonas is a type of skin infection. Winston had it at one point because of his severe dental issues. My vet shaved the skin and I applied Fuciderm cream to the area. Did she say if they have any other symptoms?

No idea about anything other than what I wrote but I have written back to her to ask about the diagnosis and what kind of symptoms they are displaying. As soon as I know anything I will mail here and let you know :D

A bit of back ground information on Pseudomonas in humans http://textbookofbacteriology.net/pseudomonas.html

In humans if you have a wound which is infected with Pseudomonas it should not be cleaned with saline as this encourages the bacterial growth in it rather than actually cleaning it, sterile water is the cleaning agent of choice. Boiled cooled water being most people's nearest equivlent. I would assume that this is the same with animals.

with bunnies it is most comonly found in females when they have a huge dewlap as its a type of wet skin infection that develops in the nooks and crannies :shock: you can also get it on the chins of dental buns where they have dribbled and the skin has got moist :thumb: Like Janice has said the area does need to be thoroughly cleaned before cream applied.

Psuedomonas is a bacteria that can cause infection in various places on the body. I think it's fairly common as a chest infection.

I know it can be transmitted via water supply and any bodily contact. I know this because we had an outbreak at work and it was traced back to the water supply :shock: :shock:

I just found this link aswell:

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40000416/

Nicola

Back