• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gurgling guts, losing weight and on/off eating

jamp

Young Bun
Hi All

My 3 1/2 year old doe chincilla rabbit, Arian, has been losing weight slowly for a the past year or so but she was a bit overweight to start with so is now probably more like the weight she should be, but we don't know the reason for the loss. More recently, her stomach has become very noisy very frequently which is more of a worry. A fortnight ago she was off her food for a couple of days but perked up again and is eating normally. She hasn't been cleaning herself properly though so had to have a thorough clean yesterday (I work abroad and my mum can't properly clean Arian alone). She was quite poor at cleaning herself until last summer when the vet reduced her dewlap (fold of skin under her neck) to give her better access and she's been much better since then. She was also spayed then but was ok for several months before these stomach noises started.

She does look and feel a bit bloated and I think that stroking her sides and tummy might induce the gurgling. Perhaps if she is bloated this explains why she isn't cleaning herself as it could be difficult to reach around..?

We have to change the food Arian gets quite regularly as she's a picky eater and goes off things sometimes. Currently she likes Wagg Bunny Brunch and I'm pretty sure she was having that for a while before the gurgling. She's never liked any sort of hay but she does have access to a large run to graze, and gets some sort of veg a few times a week.

Her behaviour seems normal and she seems happy enough, but something definitely isn't right. I suspect the vet would struggle diagnosing something like this, so does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Ben

Hi there. Nice to read your post. From what you have said, I would say you to have a thorough examination of Arian's molar teeth.

My bunnies all have problems with molar spurs and need regular dental treatment to remove them. My bunnies develop gassy tummies, picky eating habits and a dislike of hay when they have spurs that have become too much to deal with.

Its sometimes amazing how much pain and discomfort a rabbit can put up with in their mouths when they have spurs. Its a painful condition.

The fact that she had gone off her food for a bit and the gurgling from her tummy could cause bloat, through lack of fibre in her diet. In my bunnies this has always happened because of spikes on their teeth and when they have been sorted, its been amazing to see the difference in them. Trouble is that spurs can recur so a diet of a small amount of high fibre pellets (people on here mostly seem to use Science Selective/Excel/A&P or Oxbow) with lots and lots of hay (and daily veg) helps grind down the molars.

Bunnies have very sensitive tummies and don't cope well with quick changes in food. I realise you have done it because she is a picky eater, but wonder if the picky eating is because of pain? Specifically dental pain.

If I were you I would have Arian checked very quickly by the vet. Full dental examination can't usually be done fully without anaesthetic however as the molars are generally hard to visualise, but see what your vet thinks of her first of course and her general health.

Fiona x

I agree with Fiona - could be a teeth problem. Def be worth while getting her teeth checked over and if that's not the problem you can rule it out.

Hope she feels better soon x

Thank you for the replies. I'm away for work for a few weeks again, but my mum has taken Arian to the vet this week, and he has given antibiotics and vitamin b12 by injection, and some probiotics to put in the water. Arian had been having diarrhea over the few days before going to the vet. The vet didn't mention any dental issues but my mum didn't suggest it either as the vet was very busy and seemed to think the injection would stop the diarrhea which was obviously the priority. This seems to have been successful. I'm a little worried that we may have simply treated a symptom rather than found the cause of the problem though, so I will suggest my mum takes Arian back to the vet to discuss dental issues as you all suggest.

To answer the question about breathing - she has always been a very noisy rabbit grunting and squeeking. I'm not sure this has changed particularly recently, but I did notice a slight squeeking/wheezing sort of noise in rhythm with her breathing for a few minutes the other day. Would this support the dental problems theory?

Thanks for your reply and concern Fiona. She doesn't behave like a poorly rabbit at all, but I've told my mum about your concerns and suggested she go to the vet again.

Thanks again,

Ben

jamp said:
Thanks for your reply and concern Fiona. She doesn't behave like a poorly rabbit at all, but I've told my mum about your concerns and suggested she go to the vet again.

Thanks again,

Ben

Hi Ben. Hope I didn't sound too short with you in the post above, but I do think that a rabbit who has diarrhoea and has all the symptoms you described in the first post sounds poorly.

Bunnies don't behave like they are unwell being a prey animal, they hide illness extremely well.

The squeaking noise can sometimes be pain. It does sound like she didn't have a great examination at the vet and I would undoubtedly say that she needs to be seen again by a rabbit savvy veterinarian

Hope she gets on ok

Fiona x

Back