• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites

JellyBelly

Mama Doe
My Bert had walking dandruff about 8 weeks ago. The first vet gave him an ivermec jab but when we went back a different vet gave me Xenon 450 (i think thats what its called). It was an ivermec gel that you put down the spine directly onto the skin. The 2nd vet said that this treatment is more effective. I've followed tge course but i can still see a very small patch of the dandruff.
I read somewhere you can buy ivermec treatments from pets at home?
Any suggestions?

TBH I have always been told that the INJECTION is more effective than topical medication. It can take up to three jabs to totally eliminate mites but in most cases 2 is sufficient along with plenty of grooming.

I would talk to the original vet again.

Yea the original vet is the practice owner and he is very good. The 2nd vet said that i should pull out the clumps of affected fur when grooming. Would a tea tree spray help as a lady i know uses it when her rescue cats/dogs have mites. She said it's good...

JellyBelly said:
Yea the original vet is the practice owner and he is very good. The 2nd vet said that i should pull out the clumps of affected fur when grooming. Would a tea tree spray help as a lady i know uses it when her rescue cats/dogs have mites. She said it's good...

I found a tea tree spray didn't help or harm - it can help relieve the itching. I used a Gorgeous Guineas oil soak to help treat Zeus when he had them as the itching was bad (he had the skin mite where you get patches of short hair).

It took three injections for Zeus' to clear up - 7-10 days apart - I used to get the vet to give me the other two, which i would give myself to save repeat visits.

Mites are generally an indication of being under the weather in other ways - with Zeus he had an underlying tooth issue that caused the mite flare ups combined with central heating.

Caz

They can also be brought on by neutering and vaccinations if a rabbit is prone to them.

Well i'm a little concerned that he may be under the weather. He is acting eating and pooing as normal though.
He doesn't seem irrattaed by the mites any more either. The patch is about the size of a 2p. It's not completely bald more tufty with the dandruff bits...

JellyBelly said:
Well i'm a little concerned that he may be under the weather. He is acting eating and pooing as normal though.
He doesn't seem irrattaed by the mites any more either. The patch is about the size of a 2p. It's not completely bald more tufty with the dandruff bits...

That sounds like the mites Zeus had, I know some members here give Ivermectin orally and I think you can buy a rabbit spot on but I prefer injected ivermectin - it really was the only thing that cleared it and it needs a minimum of two injections to cover the whole lifecycle, otherwise the young hatch out and the cycle continues.

Caz

Mine all have mites aswell, which hvae got worse despite the shampoo i got. Amber has now ben given an injection althought i don't know what and shes due for another in 10 days along with the babies aswell.

I was also given the xeno 450 by my vet. It does seem to have done the trick. But I saw you can buy it on line much cheaper than at the vets. So think I will get some as a stanby in case the others get it. Pam

Well the nurse at the vets said it was very good, but i'm not sure it's worked completely! It coat me about £27 for 3 treatments at the vets. going to check out online prices now!

Back