• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing sizes for 5 rabbits

Kezza30

Warren Veteran
Ok i may have something sorted out and may be able to keep mam and her babies aswell as Buttons. All dpends on money and size thought and i may need to find some cheap hutches first to seperate them before neutering to prevent fights.

I need some advice on there accomodation, garden isn't big enough for a huge shed and run or i would have one. This is the hutch i have now.

DSCF0035.jpg

It's a 4ft by 4 ft run with a built in 2ft by 4ft sleeping area, it really is a huge one. Run is small and it's now treated and on paiving slabs for night time play. Me and my dad are building a new 8ft by 4ft run to go on the grass during the whole day.

My question, is this suitable for 5 small breeds of rabbits to house together, i can't afford to have seperate hutches and runs for groups and hoping to neuter the lot eventually starting with the oldest first, thankfully babies still have about 3 to 4 months left before ready.

The only thing i can do is make this extra run as big as posssible any help and ideas about this would be appreciated. :D

I don't think the run you have pictured is suitable for permanent living accomodation. It certainly isn't suitable for buns to be in over-noght. They need a safe, sheltered, secure place to retreat to and protection from the elements.
An 8x4 run sounds fab and certainly enough space for the group, but you will need something more substantial for the night time.

Just one thing - Boys & girl buns need separating way before they can be neutered as baby boy bun can impregnate Mum & sisters from 8-10 weeks, but can't be neutered until 12ish, so you might need temporary accom until they are neuterable anyway.

Thanks. Spacegirl thats just the hutch before it is built properaly. It has a proper floor and shelter which measures 4 by 2 i just hadn't got around to putting it in when i took the pic :oops: So it is a hutch with run but will have a huge extra run in aswell for grass time. Will that be suitable enough. :?

Hmmm i think it may be a bit small for 5 :?

i guess I would work out what area they would need based on what 2 would need...say 5 x 2 for a pair, so you'd need about 25 square feet for 5. A shed would be good i would think :) and your run sounds a good size.

I have that run with the shelter, but I only use it as a run. It is not suitable for living in there all year/during the night. The wood is of low quality and breaks easily. Plus the bunnies can chew it easily, too. Rain leaks in from the top, and even with a cover it would be too damp in there. If you keep the run on grass, the bunnies can dig to get out and foxes to get in.
It's ok as a run only, but you will need some kind of strong hutch for the night and in cold and wet weather.
The shelter part is too small for 5 bunnies, anyway.

I can't get a shed, lack of funds makes getting a shed plus finding money for neutering impossible and my dad alredy ordered himself one for his tools which takes up most the garden space. Apparently dogs and cats are the only animals the PDSA offer neutering for so i'm going to haft to consider splitting them up shortly and possible rehomeing unless i can one get a job and find another way.

Bavarian Bunny said:
I have that run with the shelter, but I only use it as a run. It is not suitable for living in there all year/during the night. The wood is of low quality and breaks easily. Plus the bunnies can chew it easily, too. Rain leaks in from the top, and even with a cover it would be too damp in there. If you keep the run on grass, the bunnies can dig to get out and foxes to get in.
It's ok as a run only, but you will need some kind of strong hutch for the night and in cold and wet weather.
The shelter part is too small for 5 bunnies, anyway.

Yep i noticed this to but ours stays completely dry even in these rainy days. My dad has been working on having thicker wood in there and it is treated from all weathers now. This run is actually now on paving slabs so he can be in it 24/7 but it's the new run which will be on grass for during the day time only. Depending on whats going in this new shed, it's going to be a massive one maybe i can get my dad to let them stay in but i doubt it.

Yeah i heard that, the PDSA has told my mam there going to send out completion forms out. Even if i have to find homes for a few of them (really don't want to) i would like them to be neuterd and in full health, there being treat for mites now. I'll be able to split them up when the time comes, i guess they'll need to be kept individualy incase the girls fight and the boys obvious. Thats all ok but accomodation in the summer full time i'm having a major problem with so going to spend all my spare time planning away to give them better accomodation and be altogether.

That hutch/run isn't big enough for 5 rabbits, two only I would say maximum. Have you seen playhouses, you can get them 5ft x 5ft or 4ft x 4ft and with a run attached don't take up much more room than a hutch/run

What about a multi-tiered hutch? You can separate the levels until you can afford neutering (but alternating run-time), but then open 'em all up when they are bonded.

Some of my room sections weren't big enough for long-term fostering, so I have shelves & stuff so there's more space now :D

Wouldn't they be able to smell each other in double hutches :? We have one hutch already outside, no run which were keeping spare for Casper when he needs taking out. Then i only need either 2 other hutches or a double for the other 2 girls. I've just been talking to my mam about your ideas on poppy houses, i've seen some smaller ones but not to small and theres a perfect spot for it to go with a run aswell just have to find out how much space my dads shed is going to take up and then see about finding a suitable poppy house. Also means i can use my current hutch run as just a run added on to the 8ft one i'm building will give them a huge 14ft run :D

Kezza30 said:
Wouldn't they be able to smell each other in double hutches :? We have one hutch already outside, no run which were keeping spare for Casper when he needs taking out. Then i only need either 2 other hutches or a double for the other 2 girls. I've just been talking to my mam about your ideas on poppy houses, i've seen some smaller ones but not to small and theres a perfect spot for it to go with a run aswell just have to find out how much space my dads shed is going to take up and then see about finding a suitable poppy house. Also means i can use my current hutch run as just a run added on to the 8ft one i'm building will give them a huge 14ft run :D

Oh - is dad still in with Mum?

I got 20 odd buns in 3 rooms, so am less bothered about them smelling each other than some people. Mine are used to it though.

Plus you can get 3 & four tier hutches.

Do you mean Casper Angie, he isn't the dad he's Ambers son. There only about 7 weeks now, so preparing for when he needs to leave his mam. They actually came from a breeder who wasn't interested so we don't know who the dad is.

Kezza30 said:
Do you mean Casper Angie, he isn't the dad he's Ambers son. There only about 7 weeks now, so preparing for when he needs to leave his mam. They actually came from a breeder who wasn't interested so we don't know who the dad is.

Sorry got confused :oops: :D

It's ok, i don't explain things to clearly and they get muddled up :lol: At the mo there indoor rabbits who are going to be introduced outside later in spring so i have abit of time left to figure things out and hope it works for the best :D

So how many boys and how many girls do you have? The girls should be ok left together until you can get them spayed, you will just need to keep an eye on them for any bullying :wink: The boys, yes they will need to be separated from mum and sisters, but if they are young brothers you may be able to leave them together, have them neutuered on the same day, then put them back together. especailly if you get them done young before the hormones have too much of a chance to kick in and start them squabbling :lol: Just trying to think about the least separating you could do, as this will also make it easier if you want to bond them all back together. Personally I would separate the girls into one group and the boys into another, get the boys done first, then the girls, and keep an eye out for any bullying. As for accomodation, someone suggested 25ft sq which sounds about right, about 5ft sq per bun. Multi-tiered hutches sound good,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DOUBLE-RABBIT...513QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190084509132

or this one...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rabbit-hutche...513QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250086609169

Good luck with whatever you decide! x Jess

There are 3 girls, mam and 2 daughters and then Casper is the only boy. There is also Buttons a boy but he's seperate, has nothing to do with the 4 of them and has his own run and hutch for himself :D

Unfortunatly my dad took up most of the garden space with his 8ft long shed for daft tools and such :roll: Theres pretty much nothing else left. I have found a poppy house i can afford soon, it's 4ft by 4ft and nearly 5ft high, it's not as big as some like but i don't have the pleasure of a huge garden and parents willing to let me take it up. This is the biggest i can have and can afford. Ontop of that they will have a 14ft run jioned on 24/7/ 6ft of this will be on paving slabs for night and day use and the other 8ft will be left on grass for the whole day for grass time. It may not be huge but they'll only be in there over night with a 6ft run anyway. Although depending how much money i have i may be able to get a bigger one, this is only a thought for now on my current finance situation :D

I would try keeping the mum and daughters together, does are easier to keep together than boys as their hormones don't dictate behaviour quite as much. Is Buttons neutuered? Could you put the boy with him for a bit?

Back