• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adopting Pirate

Bhm1712

Young Bun
hi folks, i new here, i have been viewing the forums for quite some time and after many months waiting for an activation code, i decided to create a new account to find that you no longer need to wait for an activation email!

my fiance and i visited kirkby rescue last weekend and we have decided to adopt Pirate who has been there for 3 years!

im picking her up on friday afternoon, i have got her a lovely new hutch and run. just wondering if anyone has any tips on securing an outdoor hutch from things such as foxes etc?

thanks

Ian and Em

Hello and welcome! Great news about Pirate :love:

What type of mesh does your new hutch have? The solid weld mesh type will be better than chicken wire for keeping Pirate safe in her hutch. Also, I never leave my rabbit in her run unattended (when she's playing out I work in the kitchen, which overlooks the garden and I can check on her every few minutes). I'm not sure what people with attached runs do about that though! :) (I have a separate hutch and run)

When I first got Jen I read this article on Rabbit Rehome. It contains some very useful tips and pointers too:

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/rabbit_foxes.asp

Can't wait to hear more about Pirate :love: You must be so excited!

Tracie

I'm glad she's found a new home. :D I know she's been there a while. We met her when we went up Kirkby about a month ago - lovely bunny.

In terms of securing the run - I would choose a run that has the smaller welded wire rather than chicken wire as this is very weak. You need to watch out for digging - is the run going to be on concrete or on the grass? When we had an outside run (they are now in the shed) we used small bolts to ensure that the top was secure we also used bolts on the hutch door.

Anyway I'm sure she'll be very happy with you!

Hi, Thats great you are adopting Pirate especially with her being in the rescue for so long..

I think if the run is open for her 24/7 it would be safer on paving slabs..
I put my bun in her run on the grass at the weekend and within minutes she'd dug quite a big hole..
And foxes or cats can dig there way into the bun aswell..
My two outdoor buns have a shed and enclosure mostly on slabs but the other part has large rocks and bricks around the small area that she could dig.....
Looking forward to the pics :D

thanks for the replies!

thanks!

im picking her up on thursday now instead of friday!

the hutch i have is fox proof or so it says, but i have upgraded the wire to what i think is stronger stuff. i have also covered the sides with felt to keep the elements out and to add extra protection from mr fox. the article helped me alot thanks for the link!

as she has been in rescue for so long , what would be the best ways to get he used to me? as eventually i want to try and pick her up

Patience is the key. Spend time sitting in the run and let her approach you. I wouldn't try to pick her up until she gets used to you. Willow was badly neglected and it took us two months before he was relaxed with us stoking him. He still isn't keen on being picked up or held but he loves cuddles on his terms. I also used treats - letting him take them from my hand then giving him a nose rub.

When I got Pippa she was very stampy and feisty but time, patience and spaying her all helped!! Then I bonded her with a friendly bunny and she's transformed now, she copies him and doesn't run away and comes for nose rubs etc.

Aw Im glad you are adopting Pirate, thats great news :) I've met her a few times :)

In all honesty I wouldnt push picking her up- MOST bunns dont like being picked up, not just shy ones. My rabbit Audrey is very friendly and loving but she goes mad if I try to pick her up and to force the issue breeds mistrust I feel.

I would earn Pirates trust slowly letting her come to you and then progressing to rubbing her head and stroking her. When you first bring her home she will probably be very scared so I tend to leave them alone for a day or so to get used to their surrounding and not being pestered.

this article is interesting:
http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/behavior/know_thumper.html

home

i have her!

she is really friendly! she lets me stroke her and pick her up without a fuss!!! im so pleased. she is so loveable, and she is very vocal aswel! she makes noises almost all of the time, she honks, she sqeuaks and warbles! especially when i stroke the back fo her neck or her massive floppy chest!

is that normal by the way? her chest is really big and floppy!

Awww I'm glad Pirates finally found a good home and that you're enjoying her :D :D

Is she a house rabbit or have you got her outside?

inside

she is inside with me at the minute but i plan to have her outside in a run some of the time when i secure it from foxes, im actually thinking of giving her a massive bunny palace or something so she can live in it all the time in the fresh air, does anybody have a link to the poppy playhouse? how much are they?

So glad you have Pirate :D Thanks for replying to my pm ... Darby is so cute :love: :love:
Would love to see some pics of Pirate when she settled.

Aww thats lovely to hear you've got her! :D

The floppy chest is called a dewlap- this is excess skin and fur to make it easier for females to pull fur out to line their nests when having babies. she might be a bit podgy too so maybe ask the vet if she needs to lose weight.

i think you can get the poppy playhouse in B and Q

dewlap

ahh right im glad its normal, i think she is a bit over weight.

Pirate cant have a friend as she always attacks other bunnies, she has only ever bonded with one bunny and he died, she has large chunks missing out of her ears from previous battles, and i think trying to bond her would result in more fights!

thanks for the links!

Is Pirate spayed? That can sometimes be why they won't bond - I know there was no way Pippa would have bonded before being spayed.

Whatever, I'm sure she'll be much happier living with you to see to her every need rather than in rescue :thumb:

Shes not spayed...

If you do try and bond her really think carefully about it as I know Celia was absolutely adamant that she must not be put with another rabbit.

Although I tend to agree its probably because she is not spayed...worth considering I think.

Back