• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dutches

Well they dont stay babies long you know :)
And perhaps a rescue local to you has some baby rabbits in- often they do.

toffee_rules said:
no affence but i would prefer one from a breeder cause i want a baby one

Hello :wave:

Will you be able to find good homes for the Dutchess you breed, if that's what you choose to do?
Rescues often have Baby Buns, I saw some at a rescue not long ago. They were :love:

Janex

Someone say Dutches.... where where where! Rescues always get alot of baby bunnies.... there are alots of rescues on here who could help I am sure. ooh Dutches :love:

We have several dutches in foster homes at the moment and have a steady run of dutch bunnies coming into the rescue..so if you decide to breed make sure you will be able to find good homes for your litters.

and some general advice...have you been bredding guineas long? If not perhaps it would be best to concentrate on them for a while and maybe get a couple of bunnies just as pets? :D

good points of dutch buns...tend to be full of mischief, intelligent, can be nippy, but great characters :D

If you have a look at the link Mandy put up you'll see there are quite a few dutch babies in rescue at the moment and if you decided to adopt one from further afield you'll always find someone on here willing to help run the bun to you if you have a problem with transport or it's too far for you.

This link gives some good points about dutch standards

http://www.dutchrabbits.co.uk/The Standard.htm

But please think long and hard before you decide to breed rabbits, there are so many unwanted buns already and despite all your best intentions you'll only be adding to the problem.

I hope I dont sound lecturing (expect I do!) but do you know much about the rescue situation with rabbits and guineapigs? Each year over 30,000 rabbits find themselves in rescue for various reasons :( and to breed adds to the problem :(

I dont know a statistic for guinea pigs, but it is also an enormous amount :( .

If you love rabbits and guinea pigs because you could get into rescue? Or just keep pet ones?

No probably not to be honest as you have to have the registration documents from the breeder in order to show in BRC shows I think, but you could show in pet classes!

Although saying that I dont really agree with showing either as I think its very unfair on the animals- it must be incredibly scary and stressful for them :(

Have a look on this website, they tell you a bit more about Dutch bunnies:

http://www.geocities.com/dutchrabbitinfo/

It sounds as if it is quite difficult to breed the "ideal" Dutch rabbit, which means you'd have a lot of non showable babies that need a good home. If you want just one rabbit to show, I'd go to a GOOD breeder and talk to them about it, and maybe they can sell you one. Have you tried the BRC website? They have lists of breeders all over the UK. Or try with Google.

My local rescue has several Dutch bunnies at the moment, some of them are babies. You never know, you may find a perfectly marked Dutch in a rescue. But I don't know the rules for showing, maybe a buck needs to have his plums still in place and a metal ring around his leg. Dutch bunnies are not easy to sell, a lot of people want lop eared bunnies or lionheads, so please think hard before you start breeding.

Some Rescues do get rung bunnies too - I've fostered 3 in the last few months. Having said that, all rings were removed when buns were neutered.

If it is BRC showing you are wanting to do, then you may need to go to a reputable breeder :D

Angie65 said:
Some Rescues do get rung bunnies too - I've fostered 3 in the last few months. Having said that, all rings were removed when buns were neutered.

Rowan was rung too...but i think you cant show them if you werent the original owner, as you have to have official ownership transferred to you from the breeder :? and it is difficult to find out who the breeder was as the BRC apparently wont tell you.

mandy said:
Angie65 said:

Rowan was rung too...but i think you cant show them if you werent the original owner, as you have to have official ownership transferred to you from the breeder :? and it is difficult to find out who the breeder was as the BRC apparently wont tell you.

I rang BRC re 2 of the buns as they were strays. They passed on my details to the original breeders, one of whom rang me :D They didn't want bun back, & were happy for him to get neutered & go to a pet home :D

Bavarian Bunny said:
Have a look on this website, they tell you a bit more about Dutch bunnies:

http://www.geocities.com/dutchrabbitinfo/

It sounds as if it is quite difficult to breed the "ideal" Dutch rabbit, which means you'd have a lot of non showable babies that need a good home. If you want just one rabbit to show, I'd go to a GOOD breeder and talk to them about it, and maybe they can sell you one. Have you tried the BRC website? They have lists of breeders all over the UK. Or try with Google.

My local rescue has several Dutch bunnies at the moment, some of them are babies. You never know, you may find a perfectly marked Dutch in a rescue. But I don't know the rules for showing, maybe a buck needs to have his plums still in place and a metal ring around his leg. Dutch bunnies are not easy to sell, a lot of people want lop eared bunnies or lionheads, so please think hard before you start breeding.
thank-you that webbie was very help-ful and i know alot about showing cavies so rabbits should be no different

Back