• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you ever wonder if you are a bad bunny mum?

Morrigan1981

Mama Doe
I feel really :censored: today :( I went into work briefly earlier to pick up some notes and there was someone else from my group there working. I had the Rabbitlopedia in my hand because I'd been reading it on the tram and he laughed and said 'what are you reading that for? Don't you just kill off all your rabbits anyway?' :(

I know he didn't mean it and it's just laddish humour but it's really upset me. I've spent this afternoon going through my bunny photos and when I look at the dates on them I realise that it does look awful - I lost Vincent, my first bunny after just three months in October last year. Then I got Jenny and thankfully she's fine, but I lost her partner Harley, after just a few weeks of owning him earlier this month.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I do try so hard. I read anything bunny related I can lay on hands on. I always follow the advice that people on here and my vets give me. Whenever any of the bunnies were sick I got them to a vet immediately - not the next day or as soon as I could, but that night. I spend over £700 treating Vincent's bad teeth and helping Harley. I feel like I always try my best but it just goes horribly wrong :( I fret about my rabbits constantly and I'm always trying to improve on what I can offer them in terms of the right food, shelter and toys.

Where I am going wrong? :( I'm like some sort of bunny black widow :(

Maybe your just braver than other people by taking on bunnies that they wouldnt think twice about :wink:

Harley is only the 3rd Bunny I have lost and I suppose technically i didnt lose him but had fate dealt a different hand it would have been me in your shoes.... If you hadnt had him i was going to keep him...it was a matter of time and nothing either of us did would have made a bit of difference.

i think you are a good bunny mummy :D , lots of people dont deem rabbits important enough for a trip to the vets :cry: Dont feel bad just keep on doing your best which to me seems really good :D chin up!!

Crikey, if you feel you are a bunny black widow what does that make me :shock:

You have been both fortunate and unfortunate. Fortunate to have become a Bunny Mummy and unfortunate that you have had two losses in a relatively short space of time :cry:
From your posts its obvious how much you care and how well you look after your Buns. But illnesses happen and sometimes all the love and care in the world cant get a Bun better :cry:

Janex

if we thought that i wouldnt have reserved a certain bunny for you would i . :wink:

dont listen to daft people who dont know what theyre on about ...bah , silly man :evil:

Thanks everyone. I work in a team with eight men (there are very few women in the dept) and they can be quite nasty sometimes, although usually I don't let it get to me. That particular comment was just a bit too close to home though and it has bothered me :( I know I shouldn't let it get to me though and I'll probably be really embarassed tomorrow that I let it upset me so much today.

Maybe later I'll make some cakes to take in tomorrow, using extra special 'currants' for that particular co-worker :lol: :lol:

Tracie

PS. Jane - you're not a bunny black widow. You're more Dr. Jane, bunny medicine woman :D :love:

PPS. Sooz - you have a PM :lol:

You know if it was dogs you'd had that had died I bet that man wouldn't have said a word :evil:

Like Jane said, from all your posts you obviousely care and are willing to take on bunny's that other people don't want. It's terrible this has all happened to you but please don't think it is your fault.
xxx

I have only been here a short while but you sound a wonderful bunny mummy to me. I'm both sorry that you have suffered two losses in recently times and that you feel so sad *big hugs*

As Sooz22 said you're clearly compassionate and brave enough to take on a bunny [or two] that may have been completely overlooked/unwanted by others and I know for sure that a bad bunny mummy just wouldn't have done that at all.

Morrigan1981 said:
Thanks everyone. I work in a team with eight men (there are very few women in the dept) and they can be quite nasty sometimes, although usually I don't let it get to me. That particular comment was just a bit too close to home though and it has bothered me :( I know I shouldn't let it get to me though and I'll probably be really embarassed tomorrow that I let it upset me so much today.

Maybe later I'll make some cakes to take in tomorrow, using extra special 'currants' for that particular co-worker :lol: :lol:

Tracie

PS. Jane - you're not a bunny black widow. You're more Dr. Jane, bunny medicine woman :D :love:

PPS. Sooz - you have a PM :lol:

Id agree with that aswell jane :D

i work in an industry surrounded by men - im the only woman in the office :( and they all think im mad for having 14 rabbits!!

But il give them their dues - they always put money in the RWF tin and the boss doesn't mind if i have to go to the vets. Although i did tell him i didnt care if he had a problem with me going to the vets - my bunnies come first and always will :wink:

Aww don't beat yourself up. Your a great bunny mom.

health probs with rescue buns will have started well before they were rescued, so it's certainly not your fault!

I get stick at work for having buns. you have to tell people not to make comments like that. they don't realise that it hurts you.

Nicola

Hummm, I too work in a male industry and I get all the jokes about pies and gloves, most of the time I just ignore them cos I know they're just being blokes but when something has happened at home like you said it can feel a bit close. When Bilbo and Bluebell came to me and had 9 babies that then all died at the ages of 5 - 6 weeks and then I lost Bilbo I felt the same as you but I think we have to realise that when buns come in from rescue situations we just don't know sometimes the full extent of what they've been through and you need to know that although you only had them for a short time that you gave them in that period a life and love that they'd not known before. They may have died but they died happy bunnies. Keep your chin up and keep doing what you're doing.x

I posted a similar topic after I lost four bunnies last year in a very short space of time - my OH decided I was cursed!

I got great reassurance from the guys on here and I am just taking each day as it comes with the ones I have now.

Caz

Hi

It doesn't sound like you are a bad bunny mum at all!

It's very sad to lose your bun after a short time, but the important thing is that for their short time on Earth you made it a happy one. The fact you've had a few in a row that have died early is just unlucky, or to do with their genetic make up.

Men can be so insensitive, I think I'd probably reply ' You know, I'm sure you meant that as a joke but it's really not funny to lose a pet'

Best wishes, Sarah x

You're not a bad bunny mum, no one is.

It's fate, destiny gives us these beautiful creatures to enrich (Spelling??) our lives and when we've learnt something from them often they must leave us.

We may think its cruel and unfair but it's always their time, they have wisdom they need to pass on to other elsewhere in the world.

Christ...I think I'm the Black Bunny Widow so far this year, loosing 5 in 8/9 weeks :cry:

Back