• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blood in urine and straining to wee

kayw1

Young Bun
Please help! Neither of my rabbits are drinking much water although they get a lot of veg such as carrots, white cabbage, broccoli and sprouts as well as occasional fruits such as apple, pear, bananas and grapes. My problem is i found what i think is blood in the litter tray. I have scooped up a sample for the vet. I have separated the rabbits and noticed Patch straining to wee and when he does its a small puddle. I have not noticed Floppy doing this. Both are very alert and still going about their every day business but i am extremely worried for Patch and I don't know if i should be for Floppy because he is not drinking. Patch is eating normally and has been running around my kitchen like normal. The other day i also noticed one of the rabbits doing a really nasty smelling wee, to the point where i didn't want to close up the hutch. I can't remeber who did this though

Have you taken them to the vets cos it sounds like they might need to be checked. Hope they feel better soon :)

I only noticed this last night and i don't know if its an emergency and if it can wait until tommorrow. If i take them to the emergency vet, they will charge me £95 before treatment and besides my vet is really good with rabbits but is not available until tomorrow. I know even if i take them to emergency vets tonight i will still take them to my own vets for peace of mind. I don't know how good the emergency vet is.

kayw1 said:
I only noticed this last night and i don't know if its an emergency and if it can wait until tommorrow. If i take them to the emergency vet, they will charge me £95 before treatment and besides my vet is really good with rabbits but is not available until tomorrow. I know even if i take them to emergency vets tonight i will still take them to my own vets for peace of mind. I don't know how good the emergency vet is.

It sounds like your Rabbit has a bladder infection (cystitis), which is obviously painful. Straining to wee can be SERIOIUS as the bladder can rupture. It may be related to BLADDER STONES which can obstruct the urethra (urine outlet from bladder)

I think you need to contact the Vet today.

Janex

Back