• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny chip

Are your buns microchipped?

• Yes - it's a great idea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - I don't like the idea

• No - it's too expensive

• Not yet - but I would like to get it done

• Other

• Total voters

bunny-mad

Mama Doe
Does anyone have their bunnies microchipped? I have had all mine done, I forgot how useful it was until Tilly and Humphrey went in on Monday for their annual check-up and Myxi vaccination, and the vet was able to just scan them for a temperature... rather like being scanned in a supermarket! b-m

I didn't know they could do that!! Three of mine are chipped - the RSPCA just did them, but the rest aren't.

Ooops I voted other and I didnt mean to :oops: :roll:

Beau was microchipped at the rescue. I havent had any of my others done though. What do you mean by scan them for a temprature? :? I thought microchipping was incase the animal got lost. Thats why I never got them done, because there is no way they could get out of my garden :lol:

I dont have my cat microchipped either, but I have been thinking about it just incase. She has never gone further than the next door neighbours garden though and she always comes back over the fence when I call her so Im not really sure if I should. Plus she has her name and my phone number engraved on the disk on her collar.

Muppet's being chipped on Friday, when he's being neutered.

Having found two lost pet bunnies myself, without particularly trying, it seems that even with the best intentions bunnies can escape. I didnt think about getting the first one scanned (it was 10 years ago) but I did the second one and he wasnt chipped. It would have saved his owners some anxiety if I'd been able to let them know he was safe.

I want to be sure Muppet has a chance of being returned, if he wriggles his way out!

How much does it cost? I've never even thought about getting it done before, but now I'm thinking maybe I should. Is the main benefit tracking if your bunny gets lost/stolen? If so, are bunny thefts common? Given how many bunnies there are in the UK, and all those on freeads etc. it would have to be a real weirdo that would steal somebody's pet rabbit! :?

I think it's £12 at my vets, but cant remember. With Muppet, he'll be under anaesthetic anyway so he wont notice. Not sure how you'd go about it otherwise.

I suppose if you had a pedigree rabbit, someone might steal it? :? And depending on the kind of area you live in, there are kids who might think it's funny to break in your garden and liberate your bunny :roll: Or you might have burglars who, by definition, arent likely to be all that careful on shutting doors after them...

As Deej is a house bun I don't think there is any need, but for outdoor buns I think it's a good idea (indeed for any animal that might escape/get lost/stolen). :D

Aliandbuns said:
How much does it cost?

I paid about £20 for each of mine, they have a thermal chip which can also be scanned for temperature. It is very useful when taking them in for a check-up and also for dentals, as Tilly and Humphrey go in quite a lot for this. It would also be useful if they ever escaped, although the furthest they have gone yet is our next door neighbours' garden! b-m

None of mine are chipped but they are indoor bunnies so I dont think its necessary - and they are all too lazy to actually try to escape anyway :lol:

I think if you have outdoor bunnies though its a good idea

I dont see why people think it's so much less necessary for an indoor rabbit than an outdoor one.

Yes, there's a higher risk of an outdoor rabbit escaping but that doesnt mean there's NO risk AT ALL for an indoor one. People forget to shut doors all the time! It only takes once... and it's not just you: it's everyone who lives in your house, everyone who visits.

bunny-mad said:
Aliandbuns said:
How much does it cost?

I paid about £20 for each of mine, they have a thermal chip which can also be scanned for temperature. It is very useful when taking them in for a check-up and also for dentals, as Tilly and Humphrey go in quite a lot for this. It would also be useful if they ever escaped, although the furthest they have gone yet is our next door neighbours' garden! b-m

A thermal chip that you can get your buns temperature from?? Does anyone know if a lay person can get the vet's devise that reads the tempurature? I'm searching for ANY early warning/monitoring system to detect that a bun is unwell. :cry:

The scanners cost in the hundreds - you could probably buy them even if you don't plan to set up as a chipper - some rescues have second hand ones they have been donated but they are very pricey to buy new.

I would have got Zeus done when he was an only house bunny in our old house as he lived in the hall and was forever dashing at the front door but it wasn't widely publicised that rabbits could be chipped.

My dogs are done (normal not thermal chip) but the rabbits aren't mainly as my rabbits seem to have such short life spans :( .

Caz

I work for a pet sitters that also do micro chipping. I was told i could have all my bunnies done for just the price of the chip (about £5) but i didn't see the need! No rescues scan rabbits for micro chips anyway (i was told when i volunteered at the RSPCA)and i know it would hurt a rabbit as i've been present at most micro chips we've done and the size of the needle is huuuuge! Hence the reason we have to muzzle dogs when we do it, so i can't imagine how much it would hurt a rabbit!

The only reason i would get my rabbits done is if i had to move abroad, as then you have to.

i know it would hurt a rabbit as i've been present at most micro chips we've done and the size of the needle is huuuuge! Hence the reason we have to muzzle dogs when we do it, so i can't imagine how much it would hurt a rabbit!

Yep - that was my comment. As I said, Muppet was out for the count anyway when he had his done yesterday.

Am a bit disappointed that the RSPCA - of all organisations! - dont routinely scan bunnies for chips. Bit bloody useless of them :evil: - since they've got the equipment anyway, surely better to do it just on the offchance. A rabbit returned happily to its home is good news and one less off their books.

Back