• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nasal Noises

staceyVB

New Kit
Hi, one of our rabbits, Milo, has started breathing funny. It is noticeable when we pick him up & when he eats. Its like he has a cold & is all 'bunged-up'.
We took him to the vets because we were concerned about pasturella, but the vet has listened to his chest & examined him & said its definately nasal.
He has no discharge or stained paws & he is still eating - alot.
The vet gave us Bisolvon powder (Bronchial Mucolytic)to give to him twice a day, I guess to break up the blockage. We have finished the course today & he doesn't seem to have improved.
I am wondering whether it is possible that he has something stuck in his nostril, like a hay seed or an allergy?
Any advice would be appreciated. We are taking him back to the vets in the morning.

Is he sneezing at all after drinking or eating? Is he able to eat normally? Have you triend any antibiotics? How are his teeth wearing?

I had a bunny with similar symptoms which two courses of different antibiotics failed to treat - his chest was clear. He had an abcess blocking his nasopharynx, which was only diagnosed through x-ray. It was blocking his throat as well and he was having difficulty swallowing.

Caz

He's not sneezing, and he still eats and drinks normally. The vet checked his teeth, appeared ok. he didn't want to start a course of antibiotics as he said he didn't want to upset his stomach bacteria.

staceyVB said:
Hi, one of our rabbits, Milo, has started breathing funny. It is noticeable when we pick him up & when he eats. Its like he has a cold & is all 'bunged-up'.
We took him to the vets because we were concerned about pasturella, but the vet has listened to his chest & examined him & said its definately nasal.
He has no discharge or stained paws & he is still eating - alot.
The vet gave us Bisolvon powder (Bronchial Mucolytic)to give to him twice a day, I guess to break up the blockage. We have finished the course today & he doesn't seem to have improved.
I am wondering whether it is possible that he has something stuck in his nostril, like a hay seed or an allergy?
Any advice would be appreciated. We are taking him back to the vets in the morning.

Has your Vet considered nasal polyps as being the problem?
If a F/B were to be stuck up the nose some discharge would be likely
Has your Vet prescribed an anti-inflammatory?

As to allergies have you tried a process of elimination? Do you feed EXCEL PELLETS? Several of my Rabbits are allergic to them, or at least to the 'dust' at the bottom of a sack of them!!

Janex

If it sounds wet and bubbly u could try a baby nasal aspiratpr from the chemist? SUm1 advised me 2 this with Har;y when he had myxi but it wasnt very successful for me a) cuz his nasal passages were swollen, and b) cuz he wouldnt sit still and let me do it and I was here myself.

It's like a tube thing and u hold 1 end jst outside bunnys nostril and suck the other end (thr's a hygiene filter thing & a little collection bit). may help.

I did find tht steaming him was helpful tho, I'd put him in his cat carrier with sum hay, make sure it was closed right, then put a bowl of boiling water with a 6 to 8 drops of camphor, eucalyptus, and elemi essentail oils mixed 2gether right at the door, then put a big blanket over it all.

Is it constant or only from time to time? Is he castarted?

I only ask because we have a bun here which make horrendous nose noises because his hormones are giving him gip.... Its only when he gets excited though.

Just an alteernative suggestion if you cant find anything actually wrong with him.

Back