• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poppy

minilops

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone! Have just cleaned Poppy's abscess hole and noticed that her eye is a bit red. Do you think this could be due to the surgery? It just looks a little red/pink on the white bit. She is having Baytril twice a day and metacam, but she is eating now and pooping and weeing (all over my conservatory floor :lol: ) Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Yay! She's now tucking into a pile of dried grass, which is what she wouldn't eat before she had this abscess sorted. The abscess was about 1.5cm and was on her neck area, but at least it didn't go into bone. I'm hoping we can get rid of it for good, we're bathing it twice a day with Hibiscrub and she is having Metacam and Baytril. I'm so pleased she's home and eating hay again! Claire x

It sounds like Poppy has conjunctivitis. If the vet did not administer some protective gel/drops into her eyes and her eyes remained open during the GA a speck of dust may have got in. Under GA she would have no 'blink' reflex and so an infection can occur. Some Tiacil or Fucithalmic from the Vet should sort it out :)

Janex

Hi! Was wondering if anyone with abscess treatment experience could help? I've just bathed Poppy's abscess wound again and have noticed it has closed slightly around the edges, but I can still see a blob of thick yellowy white pus inside (Sorry, if you're having lunch!!). I've just wiped it around with the Hibiscrub, as the Vet said (they're closed at the moment so I can't ring for advice). Does this sound OK? I'm just concerned that it might close up too soon. Should I just keep bathing twice a day? (The vet said once a day, but I've done it twice for the past two days). Any experienced people who could give advice would be appreciated - I'm just worried that it may not heal up properly or may reoccur. Poppy is having 0.25 ml Baytril twice a day - will this clear up the infection from the inside? Thanks!! Claire x

That is such a good link :thumb: I followed that with Zippy and she's ok now :thumb:

Hello everyone! Thanks for your replies. When I cleaned Poppy's abscess hole last night, I was a bit worried as it seemed to have closed up slightly and there was also a blob of hard white stuff in it. I rang the Vet Nurse for advice and she said to come down. When I got there she cleaned the abscess hole for us and then she squeezed it around it. I can't believe how much gunk came out and she's asked me to do this too! I tried this morning when I cleaned the hole, but nothing seemed to come out. Does anyone have any experience of this? How long do you think the pus will come out for? Sorry for so many questions, but I really want to get rid of this for Poppy. She's on Baytril twice a day (and metacam). Will then antibiotic dry up the pus? :? Thanks!

Have yuo read the link to the article it explains a lot and is very good. More vibes coming your way.

Hi! Thanks for the link, but it didn't seem to work - it just came up with Underhill Rabbits home page, but I couldn't see anything about abscesses? I've just cleaned her abscess hole again and there is still thick pus coming out - I've rung the Vet and they said this is normal. Does anyone agree this is what should be happening? Thanks!

minilops said:
Whoops! Silly me! Put it down to the stress of managing the abscess! :oops:

Awwww do you have a mobile phone number, can you pm it me. I'll send you a picture of Zippy's it was really, really bad but she got better.

Thanks for offering to send a piccy, unfortunately I'm still in the last century and haven't got a camera phone!! Can I ask how long you got pus from the abscess hole please? Poppy had hers lanced on Friday and there's still more coming out? Thanks!!

hmmmm you know what I can't remember think it was about a week and half, will do a search for my posts. It only happened at crimbo too :oops:

Thanks for your help. To be honest, I'm really worried about this abscess. At least it wasn't connected to bone or caused by her teeth, but I can't help worrying that I won't manage to clean it properly and get all the pus out and that it will come back. Will the Baytril stop it coming back and help dry up the pus, do you know?

I know a lot of people have very different opinions on it, but baytrill worked great with Zippy and I was cleaning it constently and putting honey on it. It use to hurt her when I did it because she would grind her teeth, but she had her dental last week and there was no trace of the abcess it was completely gone so I must of doen soemthing right. Sweetie off the forum is getting Zippy's pic off my phone for me :D

Here was Zippy's, it was actually in her mouth
Zippy.jpg

Back