• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do I do?

What would you do?

• Tell her the truth

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lie

• Don't keep in touch

• Total voters

TheGaffer

Mama Doe
I'd really like people's honest opinion of what they would do in this situation. Or maybe someone's been in this situation and can advise.

The person who I took the bun and piggie from wants me to keep in touch via email and keep her updated with how they are getting on.

She let me have them on the proviso(sp?) that I keep them together. But I've separated them. The vet also thinks the piggie has an old ortho injury prob from where bun humped him. The bun is overweight (I can't even get her spayed yet!), she can't eat her caecotrophs, so I've put her on a hay only diet for now.

Would you tell the prev owner all this?

Or would you lie, or just not keep in touch???

To be honest I would probably just lie! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You don't really need to keep in touch if you don't want to but does sound the lady had some concern over her little animals - sorry can't remember the story of how you got them - was she a caring owner?!

You know what I'd lie lie lie lie all the way! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
At least she can then be happy knowing the little 'friends' are living out their lives together and you can be happy knowing that they are having a better life now.

No chance she could spring a visit? :shock:

Fiona x

It's a hard one - when I took four buns off one girl she asked me to keep in touch and kept texting me asking how they were doing. Initially they were fine but when the two girls lost all 9 of their babies and Bilbo was so ill through neglect I really wanted to sound off at her but I didn't and when she asked after them I told her her buns were doing ok - I never mentioned the babies and she hasn't been in touch again -
Maybe you could tell her you've had to seperate them for health reasons but that they can still see and talk to each other :? That bun is going through a very amourous stage and that you were worried she might hurt the pig. Might be prudent to leave out the "obese bun" bit. Then keep your fingers crossed she forgets about them soon. Might be wishful thinking but if you are poss going to find them their own species friends in the future might keep her at bay til you can soften the seperation blow with I've found them great new buddies. :)

I'd tell her the truth.
Who knows, she might LEARN something.....
I think you can tell her whats going on but do so in a friendly, non accusational way :)

Janex

If she doesn't know where you live or anything I'd not keep in touch

If you want to feel you've done the 'right' thing I'd email her and tell her that the vet said the pig had an old injury caused by the rabbit and that you've seperated them but are going to give both friends of their own species but apart from that they're fine. Then I wouldn't get in touch again

Can you email her? If you can I would just send a quick note from time to time telling her how they are getting on without specifically mentioning that they have been separated.

What are the chances that she may get more bunnies and GPs in time and make the same mistakes with them? I would explain what's happening and why in an informative but non-accusative way. Just tell her that much as she wanted them to remain together, it is in both their interests that you've had to separate them. If you explain why, I'm sure she will understand.

i would tell her the truth in a friendly manner, perhaps embellish a little and say that they were separated on the say so of the vet.
if she really does want you to keep her informed i think i would stay in contact, after all she may have been informed badly hence keeping them together, but if she truly does care about how they are doing she may feel terrible if she doesnt hear anything. i for one would want to know how my buns were doing if i had to rehome them good or bad. not knowing is much harder to deal with :wink:

Id tell her the truth in a friendly manner and then if she did get anymore she might have learned something positive or will just not bother.

Oh dear, looks like its just me who is the liar then!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Possibly on reflection, if you feel there is a risk that she would go out and buy another rabbit and guinea together at some point in the future then she needs to be told.

Only risk is if she wants them back on finding out you have separated them? She wouldn't get them anyway but always a worry

Fiona x

I'd tell her the truth.

Whether or not they were fairly nice and just a bit ignorant or a careless idiot would dictate the tone I used :lol:

Thanks everyone,

I think I will send her a quick email explaining why I had to separate them, and that I plan to get her spayed and bond her with Billy (who was from the same owner). Billy and Emily are in fact brother and sister the owner told me. And we plan to get Bailey the guinea pig a pal fairly soon, we are just researching whether to get another boar or a spayed sow.

I think she just genuinly did not understand the needs of buns and piggies. At the end of the day she was giving them up because she didn't have the time to look after them, thats what she told me. I think she's unlikely to get any more.

Nicola

Back