• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Munching on nothing?

Leigh

Mama Doe
this afternoon duke has started looking like hes munching on something and he sounds it too (if you can get close enough without running away!) thing is.... were fairly certain hes not eating anything because hes in a bit of the hutch where there is no food....

he seems normal other than that, grumpy as ever :wink: and still seems to be eating - were gonna give some veggies tonight so well see how much he eats...

we had him out of the hutch with daisy last night and both of them were binkying so he seems like he would be happy enough?

were wondering if hes grumpy (we had visitors over who came in to have a nose!) and wants to be left alone and its how hes expressing hes stressed or if it could be his teeth? but like i said weve not noticed anything strange about his eating so far.....

ive seen him doing intermittently this afternoon/evening so dont think it could be a poo snack....

i went over towards him now while he was in his run and he thumped his foot so i dont think hes very happy....

we fed veggies and he didnt exactly come running but after some coaxing he came and ate, then we put down a bundle of hay and he stayed a good 10 mins eating that and drinking water inbetween...

my wife did notice yesterday afternoon he seemed to have hiccups for 20-30 seconds.... is it possible for them to have the hiccups or would it point to something more sinister??

thanks for all replies so far :)

Thumper does the same thing, he's had his teeth checked, is pooing and eating as normal - just seems to be something he does :?

ok, so last night we let him out the hutch and he seemed happy enough.... for the first time ever he licked me!

we gave a bundle of hay before going to bed and this morning he rushed out when we put the food bowl in

hes done the licking thing again this morning but just now ive seen him munching again...

his whole face moved like is chewing, his cheeks even expand like hes got a mouthful of hay.... if a rabbit grinds his teeth does he just move his jaw or his whole mouth?

hes eating, drinking, licking etc if it werent for this strange munching i would say he was the happiest hes been since we got him a week ago!

you can hear a munching noise as if he were eating, sounds like saliva and food squishing around!

as for the vibrating... hmm, not sure ill go and hover near him and wait to try that.....

back in - well who knows how long!

thanks

(ive had him chewing on willow sticks all morning just in case it helps....)

Are you sure he has nothing in his mouth?
I would really want to take him to the vet just to rule out the possibility of it being a pain reaction.

My Nala quite often does this too.. ive always seen her do it but yet her teeth are fine and she always eats, runs about etc so appears to be happy. I think its a habit to her :?

Leigh said:
ive seen him doing intermittently this afternoon/evening so dont think it could be a poo snack....

Well they do like to at their poops at random times (and some days eat many more than others - even if they have lots of hay and food), and often you don't see them actually nab the poop (if you do see it looks like they go to groom themselves, and basically its in their mouth before you see it)!!!

Also If you approach Deej when he is munching a poop he will often stop chewing and not restart till you walk off again.

When he chews poop it very definitely looks like he is eating.

He has never had teeth problems so far (touch wood), but does "talk" to us occasionally but that looks more "vibratey" and quick mouth movements rather than the chewing motions of eating poops! :lol:

kitschkitty said:
Leigh said:

Well they do like to at their poops at random times (and some days eat many more than others - even if they have lots of hay and food), and often you don't see them actually nab the poop (if you do see it looks like they go to groom themselves, and basically its in their mouth before you see it)!!!

Also If you approach Deej when he is munching a poop he will often stop chewing and not restart till you walk off again.

funny you should say that.... when i watched him yesterday it looked like he was cleaning his tum and then he was chewing again.... im starting to wonder if hes just trying to lead us up the garden path!! LOL

we spoke to the rescue lady and she said we could take him back over to her and she would check his teeth, starting to wonder if its worth putting him through the stress of it though... he was out last night did a binky, is eating etc etc

Definitely sounds like he's munchin' poo. That squishy noise is them slopping it round their mouth as they munch it down...yuuuummmm tasty!!! :?

Sounds like poo to me. Roxy will look like she is having abit of a sniff "down there" and then emerge munching. I suppose she doesn't want it to touch the floor, that would just be dirty!

The noise

Sometimes the rabbit munches on their poo, :oops: , it could also mean they are having probs with their teeth and sometimes the noise is a sign of a happy bunny!! :D

Back