• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Encouraging hay, How? he's got no front teeth!!

I know i've asked this question before but how do encourage obi my house bun to eat hay. He's got no front teeth and on the odd occasion that he does it I can here him grinding with his back teeth. He's teeth were checked at the begining of january and only one needed rasping.

When he has his pellet he practically hoovers them up and their gone with a split second and so i feel guilty cos he hardley touches his hay. when we first had him he was so boney and the last thing i want is to starve him in the hope that he'll eat his hay! What do i do?

I have only had one incisorless Bun and he could not eat hay at all. He was 7 when I got him so had probably never eaten hay anyway. Despite trying him on different hays and grasses I had to accept that he was not going to eat it. Infact the ONLY think he would eat was P@H Dwarf Pellets.

He obviously needed ongoing treatment for molar spurs but he was never going to eat hay and would just starve if I witheld his pellets :cry:

Janex

He eats excel, l've just been reading and wondering whether or not to change over to excel light. He'll also eat grated carrot and finely chopped cabbage and brocoli.
So he's not too fussy. He's year old and i get the impression that his last owner didn't feed him hay either. He does try but it would healthier for him to eat it and then he'll have nice big light colour poos!

The front toothless rabbits I have had in the past all were given cut up hay in smallish lengths. These found it easier to eat when it was in small pieces.

Have you tried freshly hand cut grass for your bun?

Bunnybasics sell some hay pellets which although they are not individual pieces of hay may increase the amount of hay your bun eats if they can get them in their mouth easily.

Back