• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cabbage?

Netti

New Kit
I am getting mix info about cabbage. I just bought Honey Bun and Knight some cabbage and I decided to do some research and to make sure they can have it...Some say that it can cause bloat and a rabbit might die from that, and some sites say that it's good for them.
Which is it? :?
Thanks!

Hi there. I think it varies from bunny to bunny. Mines got gas from it but it took me a while to make the link.

I think that if you introduce it very very gradually they might have a good chance of getting used to it. So just a tiny little bit and build up would maybe the best way to approach it.

Fiona x

Ive just been advised by my vet not to give spring greens or cabbage to my buns as it may cause blote

Oh no, I always give mine Savoy cabbage :( ... Feel like I'm running out of options I know carrots have a lot of sugar in them,broccoli they can have but not to much... What is okay veg that they can have ?

Mine have spring greens, savoy cabbage, broccolli, carrot, celery(chopped finely),green peppers, tomatoes, suede, parsnip(tops and peelings) and the green bits from the caulilower and brussel sprouts.Not all at once of course....

Mine have Carrot tops, and peelings, spring greens, most herbs, broccoli, cauli, pepper, tomatoes, cabbage, sprouts, mixed fruit, celery, pak choi, curly kale, okra (when I can get it) btw..is aspargus ok?

capel said:
Mine have spring greens, savoy cabbage, broccolli, carrot, celery(chopped finely),green peppers, tomatoes, suede, parsnip(tops and peelings) and the green bits from the caulilower and brussel sprouts.Not all at once of course....

That's almost exactly the mix of veg that Jen gets!

I tend to give her a large leaf of spring green every day along with her other veg (say, a slice of cucumber, an inch of carrot, a few fine slices of celery, a cherry tomato and a sprout or little broccoli floret) and then swap that leaf of spring greens for a big leaf of savoy cabbage every few days, for a change. I think it just depends on the bunny, but Jen is fine on that :thumb:

I give mine cabbage - white, savoy, and tenderheart, with no probs but think like othrs said every bun is different so need 2 add anythin new carefully.

Mine get spring greens, cabbage, peas in pods, peppers, cauliflower (leaves & florets), broccoli, celery, brussel sprouts, swede, carrots, kale, parsley, coriander, basil, apple, pear, cherry tomatoes. They turn their nose up at parsnips (but thy'll eat the peelings if I'm having them), asparagus, baby corn, butternut squash, banana, and green beans. Occassionally thy get a strawberry or a few grapes or blueberries each as a treat. In the summer I gave them half a small netarine each (with the stone removed) as well as a treat and they loved it.

Back