• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

IS this CORRECT?- No Stitches???

mumofthumps

Alpha Buck
Just been to the vets with the thumps meister for his teeth to be cut and decided to ask about neutering whilst i was there, he answered all the suggested questions ok - like do you stop feeding buns -NO! etc etc but when i asked about stitches he said that not all buns needed stitches and in some cases the skin (or ball sac") is quite flexible so can just be glued back??? :shock:
I have heard of human glueing type stitches just no been bought up on here before - that ive noteced anyway!

Also thumps isnt acting as a young male rabbit should (he doesnt love any cushions :shock: ) and isnt spraying so the vet said he may just not mature like that and if in a month he is acting the same then it isnt really necessary for him to get the snip - only if we were to get an unspayed female? I may have misunderstood but i dunno? What do you all think?

On the up side he did suggest getting a female to influence thumper to be more like a rabbit and eat hay and veggies - (ive just bought some timothy hay with marigold and dandelion so fingers crossed! )I told hubby and he thinks its a conspiracy so we spend more at the vets :lol:

Any opinions grately recieved!!!!

100_0126.jpg

Sorry, I can't answer the stitching question cos Simba had disolvable one's!

However, we got Simba when he was about 19 months old and in the couple of weeks before we got him neutered, he never once sprayed or loved anything! We still got him done though!

Dunno if this has been of any help!

Kate

I had a bun glued after she kept picking stiches. She was also stapled 7 had a collar :shock: :lol:

I think gluing is common practice now. Would have been helpful when I got Egg done - she chewed them and had to go under again... and then chewed the second set :roll:

It's quite correct - you don't have to stop feeding buns because they don't have a reflex to throw up - ie it's impossible for them to do it, so there is no risk of suffocation (on vomit).

Whilst females would benefit neutering because of health (cancer) problems in later life, I don't know of health problems in males, so the only reasons to have him neutered would be behavioural, or to prevent him 'sowing his seed'.

It's also true that buns pick up behaviour off each other - Tuesday has a very special 'zombie' flop that he does, and Egg has started to copy him now and then... i've also seen one bun turn their nose up at particular veg, but when the other one starts scoffing it, they change their mind and try and steal it! (silly buns :lol:)

HTH

woodstock said:
Whilst females would benefit neutering because of health (cancer) problems in later life, I don't know of health problems in males, so the only reasons to have him neutered would be behavioural, or to prevent him 'sowing his seed'.

Think there's a higher risk of cancer in boy's bits too? :?

Angie65 said:
woodstock said:

Yeah - I was thinking that when I wrote it - I guess maybe it's not as prevalent in man buns than lady buns...

woodstock said:
Angie65 said:
woodstock said:

Yeah - I was thinking that when I wrote it - I guess maybe it's not as prevalent in man buns than lady buns...

I have no idea - I just read it somewhere on here once :oops: :lol:

hmmm interesting Still utterley confused though!!!Thumps has to get his front teeth removed anyway now - as they just dont grow togther- think this is cos he doesnt like hay or veggies like a normal bun! :lol: Vet said its cheaper if they are done together. I think the problem for me is that if we do then get a female bun what if his hormones just suddenley come along and he tries to alway shump the poor thing :shock: at least the stitches glue is ok though :)
100_0129.jpg

Quite a few vets use glue where posiible. As for getting him done..yes go ahead, as if you get a female he will pester her even if she is spayed. The last thing you want is a hormonal male!!!! :lol:

mumofthumps said:
I think the problem for me is that if we do then get a female bun what if his hormones just suddenley come along and he tries to alway shump the poor thing

If you plan on getting a girl bun he needs to be neutered. Even if she's spayed he'll get frisky with a girl around.

Tam

If he is going under for his teeth out then have his bits off too - saves on anaesthetic (costs and risks). It is better for him to have to go through only one op.

My dog had a benign tumour removed when he was neutered as it seemed daft him having another op later if the tumour started to get uncomfortable - it was on his knee and already bleeding when knocked.

I have also had a girly rabbit spayed and her teeth burred at the same time.

I had stitches for my first boy and he worried them and got a little abcess :roll: then my second boy had glue but ate it off - twice :shock: ! That time the vets just suggested I heal it as an open wound - it worked quite well. He had internal dissolvable stitches anyway the glue was just to seal up the outer skin - I had to salt bath them twice a day but there was no problem.

Pierre had just been done when he came to me and he had external dissolvable stitches. It depends on the vet which method they use but either seem to work - wouldn't recommend stitches that have to be removed later though and rabbits are allergic to catgut.

Caz

woozle never humped anything but he did get agitated and abit territotrial but nthing anyone else would notice..his were glued and yes he ate the damned glue but he was fine the vet said enough left to hold it togehter..he passed away feb 2005 bless him....oscar was a horn dog when we got him aged 8 months..we had him done and he was glued fine..and it took 4 weeks for him to calm down.

bertie was neutered by the lady who had him and when he first got bonding with bif he got very excited around her..even tho he was done..hate to think how an entire buck would behave around a spayed doe!!

they do get hormonal..some soner than others..best save another ga and get it done at same time..

pfft really responsible vet you have there!! :roll:

Your vet is right that it would be cheaper to have both procedures done at the same time. Not only that, it's also safer for him to just have one GA instead of two. I would go ahead and get him neutered if he were mine. And as everyone else has said, alot of vets use glue these days - it's quite safe and eliminates the risk of an over zealous bunster chewing the stitches! :D

Back