• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

P@H & Giant Bunnies

missblondebunny said:
I went into P@H in CRAYFORD yesterday...

and they have for sale 2 GIANT BUNNIES :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :evil: :evil:
how much are they asking for them, last i heard it sounded like they were gonna be asking £150 for one, hopefully putting most people off

whiskyscruffles said:
missblondebunny said:

and they have for sale 2 GIANT BUNNIES :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :evil: :evil:
how much are they asking for them, last i heard it sounded like they were gonna be asking £150 for one, hopefully putting most people off

In our store they are £149.00, but not for sale untill the have been neutered/spayed, so thats why they are so expensive, its to cover the vets bill, to start with , before they were getting them done they were being sold for £69.00

Ali said:
whiskyscruffles said:
missblondebunny said:

In our store they are £149.00, but not for sale untill the have been neutered/spayed, so thats why they are so expensive, its to cover the vets bill, to start with , before they were getting them done they were being sold for £69.00

Il have to go back and look

Perhaps i should enquire about getting one... see what advice they would give me :?: :lol: :lol:

missblondebunny said:
Ali said:
whiskyscruffles said:
missblondebunny said:

Perhaps i should enquire about getting one... see what advice they would give me :?: :lol: :lol:

good idea! hopefully wiht them costing substantially more than a smaller bun people will get the smaller ones, at least they have a slightly better chance of being cared for properly.

feeling_the_wrath_already said:
missblondebunny said:

Good plan :thumb:

Ooo, just twigged - you went to Crayford! Did you see their marine section? :D

No - i only go to the dog & rabbit section :lol: :lol:

They have re-done the place haven't they with all the fish stuff upstairs, ive never been up there. il have a look tonight tho

Where do you live then?

I havn't been there myself, but read about it in the company newsletter - it looks pretty good from the pictures, was just intrigued as to what it was like first hand :)

So you work for P@H then??? You are brave :lol: :lol: :lol:

missblondebunny said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My user name was due to my apprehension about posting on the forum whilst working for the company in question :wink:

I think most of my posts have been on the topic :wink:

missblondebunny said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My user name was due to my apprehension about posting on the forum whilst working for the company in question :wink:

I think most of my posts have been on the topic :wink:

do you mind if i ask you what you think about P@H selling rabbits? Are you a shop assistant? or a manager type person?

Dont have to answer if you dont want to :wink:

missblondebunny said:
missblondebunny said:

Good plan :thumb:

Ooo, just twigged - you went to Crayford! Did you see their marine section? :D

No - i only go to the dog & rabbit section :lol: :lol:

They have re-done the place haven't they with all the fish stuff upstairs, ive never been up there. il have a look tonight tho

Where do you live then?

I used to live around there - my parents still do, so whenever I'm visiting i always pop in :) I got my hamster's Rotastak from there many moons ago :)

I went in today and our store has one, the staff were very 'excited' :roll: I said how the hell can you sell a giant rabbit when you have no hutches or runs big enough for sale to purchase with the bun?? OMG!!

They said 'oh we will be getting some in' (REALLY :roll: :roll: )

Totally unbelievable. Then a woman came over saying 'oh my, I do hope my bunny bought from here will not be that big, has he been brought back' (bleep bleep bleep :twisted: :twisted: ) No rabbits should be sold from P@H unless they are vaccinated and neutered/spayed and the price should reflect that. They have a vets for goodness sakes that would make people reconsider purchasing on a whim!!!

thumperlop said:
I went in today and our store has one, the staff were very 'excited' :roll: I said how the **** can you sell a giant rabbit when you have no hutches or runs big enough for sale to purchase with the bun?? OMG!!

Yes, they will be getting big hutches in. :) The stores which have giant rabbits get into stock the 6x3x3 hutches (definitely 6ft long, i'm fairly sure it's 3ft deep and wide). Either way, our giant rabbit care sheet also recommends wendy houses and sheds, and also points says that they make good house bunnies.

thumperlop said:
I went in today and our store has one, the staff were very 'excited' :roll: I said how the **** can you sell a giant rabbit when you have no hutches or runs big enough for sale to purchase with the bun?? OMG!!

Yes, they will be getting big hutches in. :) The stores which have giant rabbits get into stock the 6x3x3 hutches (definitely 6ft long, i'm fairly sure it's 3ft deep and wide). Either way, our giant rabbit care sheet also recommends wendy houses and sheds, and also points says that they make good house bunnies.
Do they offer free delivery in a certain radius as I for one (like most people) would not fit a 6 ft hutch in my car, even if it was flat packed :roll:

luvabun said:
Do they offer free delivery in a certain radius as I for one (like most people) would not fit a 6 ft hutch in my car, even if it was flat packed :roll:

No, unfortunately home delivery is something that we don't seem to do yet :? :roll:

Especially seeing as the 6 footer isn't a flat pack one!

Although our store has on occasion arranged a home delivery on an individual basis...but of course I can't speak for other stores on that front, on a general company basis we don't deliver :(

Most customers i've spoken to about the giant rabbits though have said that they wouldn't want to keep them outside - Especially considering they have been labelled as 'house rabbits', it tends to seed the idea that they are better off indoors. Others who i've spoken to have preferred the idea of wendy houses and sheds, simply because you can get a lot more floor area for a similar price!

ETA:
missblondebunny said:
do you mind if i ask you what you think about P@H selling rabbits? Are you a shop assistant? or a manager type person?

I'm just one of your run of the mill ordinary staff :lol:

I agree with selling rabbits in principle (in today's current society and mindset)...I explained myself fully in a couple of the threads in 'rabbit welfare' but the basic jist of it is that people want rabbits - and there are very few who are willing to wait for a homecheck (which not all rescues do anyway) and there are also plenty of people who do not want 'second hand' or old rabbits with potential problems. Without pet shops to buy from, I do think that most people would just go for the quickest and cheapest option, which would be their local 'breeder' who may just hand over the rabbit in exchange for cash, with no advice or offer of help if the rabbit gets sick from the stress of moving house. I would far rather that they bought rabbits from somewhere which gave out care advice leaflets (which mention vaccinations, company and neutering) rather than from somewhere where they get no advice at all.

It's a difficult trade off, which doesn't necessarily agree with my ideal views :lol: Of course, ideally everybody would rescue or purchase well-bred bunnies from responsible breeders who offer a lifetime of support and advice. But that certainly won't happen in the near future :(

I would be much happier about it if I knew that all members of staff put in the effort when selling rabbits. I normally spend about an hour or so with prospective owners - and normally start every conversation with "are you aware of the costs associated with rabbits?" :lol:

Of course, I do know that there are plenty of staff who just ask if they've kept rabbits before, hand out a care leaflet and put bunny in a box. Which is certainly an issue that needs to be addressed :( Once I know that all members of staff really put in the effort when selling bunnies, then I will be happy about the company selling rabbits. But again, that's an idealistic view :( Basically i'm happy in principle - but in practice, it's the staff who let us down.

TBH honest lately I think P@H have really been trying - they are an easy target as a big organisation but they have changed their leaflets and advice on being informed the contents were wrong or outdated. They have allowed the RWA to have a stall within some of their stores to hand out advice etc to new owners.

I think they are making an effort - its the little places that get away with the worst conditions because there isn't anyone higher to complain too.

If we don't like one P@H store we can write to head office and get it resolved but if the local petshop is dodgy the managers are the owners and there is no point complaining. Environmental health only have very simple guidelines and the RSPCA have no powers (yet).

Caz

Back