• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Collars for rabbits

I think its dangerous. The way they run about like loonies and often misjudge when to stop! I think they could get them caught on something and choke themselves or do some other serious harm. Since it serves no purpose for the bunny then I would say no.

YER I SUPPOSE THEY COULD (oops) catch it on something- never thought of that.

I wouldnt get one but i just think they are cute looking, but wanted to know if anyone had any experience or if the buns minded wearing them

obviously they do

Spacegirl said:
I think its dangerous. The way they run about like loonies and often misjudge when to stop! I think they could get them caught on something and choke themselves or do some other serious harm. Since it serves no purpose for the bunny then I would say no.

Ditto you took the words right from my fingers :D

I have a collar for my rabbit, Macey, and she doesn't mind it.
Of course, I take it off after I'm done playing with her so it doesn't get caught on anything.
So I think collars are ok if you rabbit likes them, and you don't leave them on a lot.
But other rabbit I use to have hated collars, so I guess it depends on the rabbit whether they like them or not.

I have only had one rabbit who came in with a collar on, he was an ex house rabbit and had ended up with one with a bell on it as he always used to suddenly run up and stop immediatly in front or behind you. I took it off when he arrived but within 48 hours put it back on as I fell over him quite a number of times :oops:

Normally I would not agree with collars but on this occassion it meant I didn't end up on the floor and the bun didn't get trod on.

My old house rabbit had one as he was always coming under my feet - he like it. Vever had it tight and he never had a problem with it :D The bell is useful for a suicidal bunny :D

I dont think Rudy would tolerate a harness and with his long back feet im afraid what damage he could do to himself if he ever wore one

Deej is always under our feet, but were just used to it now! :lol:

As collars don't serve any purpose for the vast majority of buns (and the chance of them getting caught on something/being dangerous is higher than the enjoyment anyone could get from seeing a bun looking cute in one) I vote no!

Ditto with above,
its like dressing them up I guess, we think they would look oh so cute, but they have other ideas.
I have once tried to put a harness and collar on my girl, when I first got her... cos she was so small she could fit through the slats in the fence.... She would not have it on at all - so we just e fenced the garden instead! :lol:

I dont agree with it either - i think its cruel. They dont need them anyway.

I would've never even thought about putting a collar on a bunny :shock: :shock:

I had one for Zeus when he was an only bun as he was forever dashing at the front door when we opened it - it had a tag on it with our name and address - I didn't know about microchipping then and tbh most places don't think to scan stray rabbits although they are much better at it now.

He was fine with it and it jangled as he walked letting us know where he was. Then we got Athena and while she was recovering from her spay she was kept in a Ferplast cage. Zeus jumped onto it and got the tag caught between the bars. He didn't do himself any damage because I spotted it straight away when he did it and untangled him but after that I decided it was too dangerous.

Caz

When mine went to the vets to be neutered/spayed I was asked at the time if I wanted them micro chiped at the same time, I didnt as my garden is totally bunny proofed, so thought it would be a waste of money :)

Back