• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Marcy not getting better

Fionabun

Mama Doe
Marcy is still poorly and I am panicking. :cry:

I left her dental too late last Friday and her tummy was all distended. I nearly lost her. After a bit of TLC she came round and started eating again on Sunday but I found her again on Tuesday morning full of gas with a very swollen belly. She was admitted for a short while though her prognosis was poor. An xray showed lots of gas and a swollen tummy, not other concerns (i.e. no other sinister cause). She is home with me and her mum and dad bun.

She still has next to no appetite and I am still syringe feeding her food and fluids. Am utterly exhausted and had to go back to work today. She is going back for more sub-cut fluids tomorrow to help

She is on Prepulsid, Metaclopramide, Zantac, Metacam and Vetergesic.

What could this be? Vet wondered about a blockage but felt that we had no alternative to continue treating her for stasis/bloat. Her tummy certainly isn't AS hard but it is harder than my other bunnies. She also looks uncomfortable in the way she lying for much of the time. She has had some mini nibbles at hay and treats but nothing substantial. She is a bit more interested in life now and cleans herself but little else.

Any ideas? Is this just what happens during recovery from GI stasis. I am hoping that the cause of this, once again, is me (having pulled her off meds and syringe feeding too quickly after her dental) :cry: Am I missing something here? Do you think this is the end for Marcy? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Fiona x

If she had an abdominal X-ray then a GI obstruction would have shown up I would have thought :?
Has your Vet run a blood profile? I am thinking Liver function in particular.

Vetergesic is an opiate and so will sedate her which may account for some of her lethargy. If she were my Bun I think I'd want her to have a blood test if it has not already been done.

I really hope Marcy gets better

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
If she had an abdominal X-ray then a GI obstruction would have shown up I would have thought :?

Vetergesic is an opiate and so will sedate her which may account for some of her lethargy. If she were my Bun I think I'd want her to have a blood test if it has not already been done.

Janex

Hi Jane, thanks for reply. Xray was done consciously so maybe not the best view. Also just showed lots of tummy swelling. Vet was more worried about a potential blockage from food stuff so we just opted for fluid therapy in the hope of keeping it moving.

I had forgotten vetergesic sedates her...might explain why her eyes are shut alot too.

Yes I had wondered if she has a damaged liver. Can blood be tested without a GA? Maybe a stupid question?

If it is her liver, what is the prognosis/treatment if any?

Am devastated that she is no better.

Fiona x

I'm so sorry to here that marcy has not picked up. I can think of anything that would help you.

You must be exhausted with caring for marcy and your other buns.

If I think of anything I'll let you know. :D

aaawwww poor Marcy and poor you, it is very worrying. I have been advised to grate Thumpers veggies - carrots and celery have you tried that?

I'm sorry to hear about Marcy Fiona.
I've no advice I'm afraid but just to let you know I'm thinking of you and Marcy.
Sending lots of vibes x x x

Fionabun said:
Jack's-Jane said:

Janex

Hi Jane, thanks for reply. Xray was done consciously so maybe not the best view. Also just showed lots of tummy swelling. Vet was more worried about a potential blockage from food stuff so we just opted for fluid therapy in the hope of keeping it moving.

I had forgotten vetergesic sedates her...might explain why her eyes are shut alot too.

Yes I had wondered if she has a damaged liver. Can blood be tested without a GA? Maybe a stupid question?

If it is her liver, what is the prognosis/treatment if any?

Am devastated that she is no better.

Fiona x
A blood sample can be taken without GA but the biochemical effects of stress have to be taken into acount when interpreting the reults. For example stress causes blood glucose to rocket.
The Liver can regenerate but it depends on what the damage (IF ANY) actually is. I had a Bun who had Liver damage due to toxicity from drugs for Epilepsy. He was given daily Milk Thistle Extract (Available from Health Food Stores) and his Liver Enzymes did improve.

Janex

Thanks for all advice and best wishes.

I have told Marcy that people are asking for her whilst snuggling her and she promptly ate a piece of hay so keep the vibes coming!

Will speak to the vet again tomorrow.

Fiona x

thumperlop said:
aaawwww poor Marcy and poor you, it is very worrying. I have been advised to grate Thumpers veggies - carrots and celery have you tried that?

Unfortunately, Marcy has turned her nose up at almost everything though showing a little more interest (*touches wood) so will try again tonight.

Fiona x

When my bunny has her GI stasis, my vet ask me to "super charge" her system w/ 200 ml of Sub Q fluid. More than the bunny needed. That way, it flush her system rapidly.

I would try this for about 5 days in a row.

Back