• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

LITTLE MAN - U/D 14th March U/D He's gone

BirdieBun

Wise Old Thumper
I am a bit stumped really!

I took my Little Man to the vets last week as he didnt eat. So he had a gut stimulant/metacam and he was fine the next day and has been fine since with his eating.

I have cut the buns pellets right down and I feel so mean but over the last few days I am sure he has gone a lot thinner.

He used to have fat underneath him and now it has all gone and he is now my smallest bunny :shock:

The vet did say that his teeth need doing but I dont trust her as she was really bad when she consulted for my budgie.

I am taking him tomorrow along with Bambi (whom I think has mites :roll: ) so I am just a bit worried really that this could be more serious than I think it is.....I am going to have him weighed - and if the vets say his weight is normal I will eat my hat!!!

Anyway just wanted vibes for him just in case he needs it :)

Thanks guys :)

Spacegirl said:
Aw poor little man - hope he's OK.
Why did you cut the pellets down?

because people say they will eat pellets rather than hay and this is not good for their teeth so I have cut the pellets down to encourage them to eat more hay :? i dont like to limit their pellets this much though not one bit :(

hun sending millions and millions of vibes for little man! and i hope bambi doesnt have mites but if she does i hope she gets em cleared up! :thumb:

Give little man big cuddles from me! xxxxx

Im sure he'll be fine tho hun!

Bavarian Bunny said:
How much pellets do you normally feed? Do you have another vet in the area that you culd ask?

no i am seeing a different vet at my practice tomorrow for a 2nd opinion it is just the one vet within my practice that i do not trust :)

i havent weighed my pellets as i dont have any scales so couldnt tell you :oops:

BirdieBun said:
Spacegirl said:

because people say they will eat pellets rather than hay and this is not good for their teeth so I have cut the pellets down to encourage them to eat more hay :? i dont like to limit their pellets this much though not one bit :(

I've limited all my bunnies now aswell. They are on half a bowl a day. But they get plenty of meadow hay/timothy hay/redi grass/alfalfa nibbles and other dries bits - i want them to chew more and wear down their teeth (mainly the back ones) :D

thanks nikki :D

well my buns had half a bowl before between the 2 of them but i was told this is too much :?

No, that can't be too much. :shock: I have rather small bowls, but I think one bowl per day for two bunnies is fine. That's about two hands full of pellets.

Bavarian Bunny said:
No, that can't be too much. :shock: I have rather small bowls, but I think one bowl per day for two bunnies is fine. That's about two hands full of pellets.

2 handfuls per bunny?

Awwwww hope Little Man is ok and they both get on ok at the vets tomorrow hun.

Hugs from the gang here :love:

Tracey x

BirdieBun said:
Spacegirl said:

Oh yes I know, I just wondered why if he had not been eating too well :D But maybe you mean he stopped eating after you cut donw the pellets?
Anywaa, hope he's better soon.

BirdieBun said:
Bavarian Bunny said:

2 handfuls per bunny?

No, one handful per bunny. They share a bowl, and I think Penny is little miss greedy and eats more, while Snoopy is still busy doing his morning washing.

I think the instructions on the bag say 50 Gramms per bunny per day (Science Selective at least). That would be about 2 handfuls per bunny per day. But I also know people who only give their bunnies very little pellets and expect them to eat lots of hay instead.
How old is your bunny? My bunny in Germany never got Science Selective or any other pellets like that. All I could find in the pet shops was the colourful mixed stuff. He never ate much hay ( or maybe none, as he had a greedy girlfriend) when he was younger and now he doesn't eat any at all. He is also very picky with greens. His teeth have only started to cause problems a year ago. Even though he got all the wrong food, he still lived a happy life and is now 11.
So if you feel he is getting too little pellets, give him more. Sometimes they get thinner after tummy problems, or when they get old.
Is he a single bunny or does he have a greedy partner that eats all the pellets alone?

Back